Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 22-23, 2014 – 27 Av 5774 – Parshas Re'eh – Shabbos Mevorchim
Light Candles by 7:35 (and not before 6:30) – Havdalah 8:34
* Light Candles by 7:35, and not before 6:30
* Mincha 6:35, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:35
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 (Sephardi), 7:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:34
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Ruth Rochel & Yitz Stokes in honor of the 30th anniversary of Yitz's Bar Mitzvah and Ruth Rochel's Bat Mitzvah.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Kuglers in honor of Nechama's Bat Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Dovid Katzenstein – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Sarah & Emil Braun, on the engagement of their granddaughter, Brachie Tuchman of Baltimore, to Shalom Zenwirth, also of Baltimore.
* Terumah & BenZion Kugler on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Nechama. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Shlomo, Yosef, Rachelle, Toby, and Yocheved, and to the grandmothers Shonny Kugler and Basha Steinerman Kohler.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a grandson, Klonimus Kalman, to their children Batsheva & Motti Tolchinsky of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to Kalman's siblings, to grandmother Rebbetzin Rivka Winter, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Shirley & Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:00 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic and we will continue discussing "Halachos of Krias Hatorah."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:20 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM – will resume on September 4.
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Violet Battat & Shlomo Bolts, Arielle & Martin Katz, Rivka & David Sidorsky.
Thank You- The Shul would like to thank all of the volunteers who helped make the BBQ "Summer Luau" such a great success.
The Art of a Woman's Prayer: Understanding the Special Connection Created Through Tefillah – A Shiur for women with Mrs. Estee Silver. This Shabbos afternoon, August 23 at 4:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Arlette Jacobson, at 11606 Fulham St. (near Lamberton).
YISE Announces a Special Seudah Shlishit to take place in the YISE Social Hall on August 30 wishing "Tzaitchem L'Shalom" to those Shul members making Aliyah, as well as offering thanks to the IDF and lending support to those in our community with family members in the IDF. Please note that Mincha will be at 20 minutes earlier than originally scheduled – 7:00 PM (Belonofsky Sanctuary) / 6:45 PM (Sephardi). Sponsorship opportunities: Donor ($36) & Patron ($100). Volunteer opportunities: sign up for set-up or clean-up. To reserve, volunteer and/or help sponsor this event, call Esther at the shul office, 301-593-4465, ext. 402 or email Marilyn Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Kiddush Honoring Debby Greengart – Please join the community for a Kiddush September 6 following the 8:45 Minyan to honor Debby Greengart for 30 years of teaching at YISE Shomrai Nursery. Sponsorship is recommended for Chai amounts or any amount of your choice. Please email email@example.com to make your donation. Do you have any special memories, thoughts or wishes for Morah Debby? Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in a special keepsake for Morah Debby.
High Holiday Preparations – The High Holiday seating form is now available on the YISE web site, and can be completed on line. There are also copies in the box in the lobby outside the Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Seats not requested will be reassigned to other members that have requested them. Visit www.yise.org/seats It is also important that your financial obligations have been paid up; seats cannot be reserved if there are outstanding obligations. Statements were sent out in early July; if you did not receive yours, please call the Shul office for a copy.
YISE is searching for a new Youth Minyan Coordinator. If interested, please send a resume to email@example.com
YISE Nursery Mulch Unmoving Day – Sunday August 24, 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM. The mulch has already been moved! So leave your shovels at home and instead enjoy: Play date in the playground + moonbounce; Flea Market: shopping for gently used toys & books; Hot dogs from Wrap2Go for sale + Free watermelon & drinks. Please park at the very back of the church parking lot. For more information firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365.
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. So that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to host, please let us know at email@example.com
The YISE Banquet Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with the banquet. Specifically, we are seeking volunteers to help obtain donations for a raffle that will be included as part of the banquet this year. The volunteers can also help design the raffle prize packages to be presented at the banquet. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Elise Saks (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Rachelli Simon (email@example.com). In addition, if anyone has anything to donate (jewelry, toys, baby gear, small appliances, etc.) to the raffle, please contact Elise or Rachelli.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Program is on break and will resume on Sunday, August 31.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join them. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer, and will resume in September.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Rabbi Tzvi Klugerman on the passing of his mother, Francine Klugerman. The funeral took place on Monday in New York. Shiva will be observed in Southfield, MI through Sunday morning. Rabbi Klugerman can be reached at 248-809-3842 or email@example.com
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 27, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Jew, G-d, and Prayer: Making Tefillah Meaningful and Inspiring – Special Pre-High Holiday series. With Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Faculty, YGW and member of Kollel Zichron Amram. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, at the JCC of Greater Washington, Room 111. Class is free and open to Jews of all backgrounds and levels of observance. For questions, email@example.com or just join us!
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 525. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Job Assist Events:
* Federal Jobs – Free webinars on Monday, August 25. (1) Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications and (2) 10 Steps to a Federal Job. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 24 Monday, August 25 Tues., August 26 Rosh Chodesh Wed., August 27 Rosh Chodesh Thursday, August 27 Friday, August 29
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:00 6:00 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:41 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
August 29-30, 2014 – 4 Elul 5774
Light Candles by 7:25 – Havdalah 8:23
* Light Candles by 7:25, and not before 6:21
* Mincha 6:30 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:25
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:45 (Sephardi), 7:00 (Arcola), 7:20 (Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:23
Monday, August 25 Man with the Truck 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM, Arcola
Shabbos, August 30 Special Seudah Shlishit, Arcola, following 7:00 PM Mincha
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 27, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director