Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 10-11, 2015 – 24 Tammuz 5775 – Parshas Pinchas – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:17 (and not before 7:04) – Havdalah 9:23
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of the 30th annual Rabbi Morris D. and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture this coming Sunday, July 12.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Samuel Bramson on the the birth of a great granddaughter, Mindl Adira Lerner, to their grandchildren, Chava Gila & Zev Lerner.
* The Sloane family on Yossi's Bar Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to the whole Mishpacha.
* Light Candles by 8:17, and not before 7:04
Arcola: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 University: 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:23
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Rochelle & Baruch Wertenteil to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Baruch's Bar Mitzvah.
* Sephardi Minyan – Rivky & Oren Perez in honor of the birth of their daughter, Ayelet Rachel.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Sloane family in honor of Yossi's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur at 6:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:45 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – Program is on summer break and will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – Shiur is on summer break and will resume in August.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
The YISE Membership Directory will be published soon. If you are a member and have moved or would like any changes in your published directory listing, please submit your changes at: www.yise.org/directory, send an e-mail to email@example.com or contact the YISE office.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "The Haftoros of the Three Weeks." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Going Deep – The Meaning of the Amidah – Series of Monday night Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women. Meets through July 27 from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. in the small Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project (Mincha and Maariv are part of the class). New attendees welcome. Previous Shiurim can be downloaded at www.yise.org
Sefer Daniel: Template for Exile, Vision of Redemption – Six-part summer series for women given by Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum, meets on Tuesdays, through July 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
Does the Keilim Mikvah being built by the Shul make you more curious about its Halachos? You can hear a series of 5 minute Shiurim from Rabbi Rosenbaum at audio.yise.org Rabbi Rosenbaum hopes to have Shiurim relating to the building of a Keilim Mikvah and Halachos of its use available over the coming weeks.
High Holiday Planning – The envelope with High Holiday seat forms and other information was delayed and not mailed this past week. It is expected to be sent during the coming week.
SAVE THE DATE: Take Me Out to the Ballgame – Join the Social Committee to see the Washington Nationals take on the Colorado Rockies on Sunday, August 9. Details are forthcoming.
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, August 5.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dedicate a Brick, and Help Build a Keilim Mikvah
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Cheryl Stern Community Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible.
For more details visit: http://wp.yise.org/dedicate-a-brick/
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week. The Minyan will resume on Shabbos Parshas Shoftim, August 22.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
The Woodside Ballard Street Outdoor Keilim Mikvah, at 8901 Georgia Avenue (corner Ballard), under the Mikvah Emunah Society, is now operational.
Changing Images of Jewish Men and Women in American Culture and Real Life – Professor Sylvia Barack Fishman of Brandeis University will deliver the 30th annual Rabbi Morris D. and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt, Z"L Memorial Lecture on Sunday, July 12, at Congregation Kneseth Israel,1125 Spa Road, Annapolis. Continental breakfast, 10:30 AM; Lecture: 11:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public.
GWCK Youth Summer Kollel – Through July 16, Monday – Thursday evenings, 7:30 PM – 8:15 PM for 5th and 6th grade boys, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM for 7th – 9th grade boys. At the Kollel in White Oak. Refreshments, raffles, and prizes!
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 15, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Embracing our Purpose during the Three Weeks – Mrs. Orit Esther Riter, blogger and author of A Daily Dose of Emuna, from Israel, will be speaking at a brunch and learn at the Kern home. Tuesday, July 21, 11:00 AM. She will have copies of her newly released book and mp3s available for sale. Cost is $15 for the brunch and learn. Dedications and memorial sponsorships are available. Please contact Chava for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org Since seating is limited, reservations are greatly encouraged.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin. With Rabbi Eli Reingold, learn Mishna Brurah on Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshops:
Gemachs – The word comes from an abbreviation of Gemilus Chasadim, acts of kindness. Gemachs in the Silver Spring area loan or provide a wide variety of items, from bikes and baby equipment to folding tables and clothing (children's, maternity, Simcha occasions), and much more. For an updated list visit www.yadyehuda.org/gemach-exchange.html Your donations are welcome. For Gemach related questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 12 Monday, July 13 Tuesday, July 14 Wednesday, July 15 Thursday, July 16 Friday, July 17 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:10, 7:15
Arcola 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:54 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:33 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 17-18, 2015 – 2 Av 5775
Parshas Matos / Masei
Light Candles by 8:14 – Havdalah 9:19
* Light Candles by 8:14, and not before 7:01
Arcola: 6:45, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:19
Shabbos, July 11 Bar Mitzvah of Yossi Sloane, 8:45 Main Minyan
Wednesday, July 15 Senior Lunch – Program: "The Story of the Jews" with Simon Schama DVD
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 15 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director