Download the October 19-20 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 19-20, 2012 – Parshas Noach – 4 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 6:05
* Mincha 6:05 (all locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:45 (Sephardi), 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:02
* 8:45 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the 13th Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hyatt's mother, Mrs. Ida Hyatt, z"l, the 4th Yahrzeit of his father, Rabbi Julius Hyatt, z"l, the 9th Yahrzeit of Michael's mother, Florence Rogoff Hourwitz, z"l, and the 50th Yahrzeit of his grandmother, Sara Rogoff, z"l.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9 AM in small Youth Room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet until further notice.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for special Parshas Noach themed Youth Groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by their group.
* The YISE Youth Department would like to thank all the volunteers and sponsors who helped make this year's Simchas Torah Extravaganza a success. A special thanks goes to the following volunteers: Josh Breitstein, Shani Breitstein, Barbara Price, Lee Oppenheim, Dani Gabriel, Scott Miller, Shevi Miller, Yaakov Miller, Akiva Miller, Aviva Miller, Ariella Miller, Leora Landy, Melissa Miller, Chad Miller, Chana Aliza Miller, Talia Miller, Evelyn Davis and Lisa Landy.
* Nancy & Avi Karkowsky on the birth of a grandson to their children Malki Karkowsky & Jaime Sorge in Cleveland Heights, OH. Mazal tov to the great-grandmother Bea Herskovitz as well as to Malki's siblings, niece, nephews, and the entire family.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women, (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, will meet on Friday only this week, 6:00-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us for the important and relevant topic of "The Mitzva of Lending and Prohibition of Interest: Common Issues". Sunday mornings 9:30 AM beginning October 21.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a unique skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8 PM.
Correction to Last Week's Shorts
The YISE Sisterhood thanks the following sponsors for making this Simchas Torah Kiddush possible: Karen and Cary Presser
YISE Adult Education Committee
Iranium powerfully reports on the threat of a nuclear-armed Iranian regime and highlights efforts within Iran to topple the government. Narrated by Academy Award nominee Shohreh Aghdashloo, the film uses rarely seen footage and interviews with 25 politicians, Iranian dissidents, and leading experts on Middle East policy, terrorism, and nuclear proliferation.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Following the screening there will be a panel discussion.
Panelists to be announced.
Community Programs and Listings
Tefilla Gems for Women – Discover the beauty and power of our daily prayers with Sara Malka Winter. Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM beginning October 16. SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. For a listing of classes or more info, find us at www.gwckollel.com
Representatives from Yeshiva University's Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Mrs. Geri Mansdorf and Mr. Rafi Katz, will be visiting the Greater Washington DC area schools to present and interview students this upcoming week. They will also have a parent reception at the home of Aliza & Russell Kwiat, 11713 Fulham Street, on Tuesday, October 23 at 7:30 PM. For more information contact YU's Office of Admissions at 212-960-5277 or email@example.com.
LinkedIn–Intermediate Level – For those who have created a profile and want to increase use of the network. Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 1-2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
Out-of-the-Box Ways to Find Your Next Job – Featuring Ronnie Baras. Monday, October 29, 7:30-9 PM, YISE Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington has an urgent need for volunteers to conduct Taharot. Opportunities are available daily. For men, contact Joel Bauman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-704-6830; an introductory meeting is set for Oct. 21, 8:00 PM, KMS Chapel (Small Beit Midrash). For women, contact Devorah Grayson, email@example.com.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday November 4 at 10:00 AM at KMS Honorees are Sara Glashofer, Lori Greenberg Tolchin and Irit Rasooly Goldman. Journal Deadline is October 26, 2012. For more information and to make a reservation: www.bikurcholimgw.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4-Day Executive Boot Camp – Tuesday-Wednesday, October 30-31 and November 6-7. 9 AM-4 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Sisterhood – Join YISE Sisterhood on November 4, 2012 from 7:30-9:30 PM in Kemp Mill, as Rachelle Ferneau, creator of Dear Coco truffles, introduces us to the world of chocolate and chocolate-making. Participate in a fun chocolate trivia game and receive a lesson in the art of chocolate-tasting. Receive a specially prepared box of decadent truffles and literature related to those specific chocolates. Discuss your chocolate experience with friends as you enjoy other light refreshments and a fantastic evening out. Cost for the event is $20. RSVP and payment is REQUIRED in advance, and must be received no later than Friday, October 26. Checks made out to "YISE Sisterhood" should be sent to Hedy Bauman, YISE Sisterhood Treasurer, at 1131 University Blvd. W., Apt #610, Silver Spring, 20902. For questions or to RSVP, contact Esther Goldfeiz at EGoldfeiz@yise.org. You will be informed of the event location upon receipt of payment.
Got Medicare – Learning how to choose the right Medicare plan can save you hundreds of dollars in 2013. Hilary Dahlin, expert in Federal aging programs, explains how to make the most of your options during Open Season, now through December 7 at YISE Social Hall, Sun., October 28, 9:30-11:30 AM. Eldercare program sponsored by Bikur Cholim, YISE, and KMS.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee is starting a new program in collaboration with Bikur Cholim and other services to help members undergoing serious medical crises. When the needs arise, we will need a pool of volunteers to help provide meals, carpools, childcare, etc. To volunteer or for info contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org. Pickup sign up form in the lobby.
The Week Ahead Sunday October 21 Monday October 22 Tuesday October 23 Wednesday October 24 Thursday October 25 Friday October 26
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 See Shabbos Schedule
University 6:05 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:08 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:23 PM
October 26-27, 2012
Parshas Lech Lecha
11 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 5:55
* Mincha 5:55 (all locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:35 (Sephardi), 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:54
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Oct. 24, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday thru Thursday, 9 AM-5 PM and Friday 9 AM – 1 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, zt"l
Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director