Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 11-12, 2015 – 28 Elul 5775 – Parshas Nitzavim
Light Candles by 7:05 – Havdalah 8:02
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Light Candles by 7:05
Arcola: 6:30, 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:02
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:40 PM.
* Rabbi Dovid Katzenstein – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Erev Rosh Hashanah, Sunday, September 13:
* Light Candles by 7:02
* Mincha 7:05 (All locations)
First Day Rosh Hashanah, Monday, Sept. 14:
* Shacharis 7:30, (8:00 Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Mincha & Tashlich 6:30 (6:15 Sephardi)
* Maariv 7:55 (All locations)
* Light Candles/Kiddush after 7:59 (No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Rosh Hashanah, Tuesday, Sept. 15:
* Shacharis 7:30, 8:00 (Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:30 Nusach Sefard) Late: 4:45
* Mincha 6:55 (6:45 Sephardi)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:57
* Tzivia & Rabbi Samuel Bramson on the marriage of their grandson, Binyomin Moshe Weinstein, son of Renee (nee Bramson) & Mayer Weinstein of Passaic, to Shoshana Raizel Plotkin, daughter of Tova & Moshe Plotkin of Passaic.
* Shuli & Sam Kleinman on the birth of a granddaughter to Chaya Miriam & Yisroel Kleinman.
* Oren Penn on the passing of his grandmother Louise Fattal of Ashkelon.
* Anna & Jack Rutner and family on the passing of their nephew, Yehuda Bayme. The funeral took place in Riverdale, NY on Tuesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume September 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will only meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume October 13.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah – will resume October 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume October 7.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for Men and Women – will resume October 13.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network’s Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume after Sukkos.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – will resume on October 14.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall
* See the Week Ahead on back for schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
YISE Programs and Listings
Rosh Hashanah: An Approach – Shiur for women with Rabbi Silver. This Shabbos, September 12, 4:30 PM at the home of Arlette Jacobson, 11606 Fulham Street.
High Holiday Planning:
* Letters with High Holiday seat information were mailed last week. If you have not received the information, please send a note to email@example.com and a copy will be sent via e-mail within two days.
* Pruzbul – Any individual who is owed money by another Jew is advised to arrange a Pruzbul before Rosh Hashanah. A Bais Din will be convened for that purpose on Erev Rosh Hashanah, September 13, after Hataras Nedarim following the 7:00 Shacharis.
* RH and YK Babysitting for childen ages 2-9 years old for $10 per child. Please see the flyer in the social hall lobby or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – As a fundraiser for the shul, YISE will sell this year through Elli-Chai’s. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the Shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on Friday, September 18.
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com
* Do a Mitzvah: Help Build the Shul’s Sukkah – The Shul needs volunteers to build its Sukkah. Please consider helping us, especially if you might use it. The holiday schedule precludes us from our usual Sunday building day, so we are asking people to confirm that they will help: Thursday, September 24 (post Yom Kippur), 6:00 PM. Please confirm your participation by contacting stuart cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 301 943 5153.
Be a Better Ba’al Tefilah – Whether you lead Davening every week or once a year, there are many things to learn that can make the experience better for both you and your Minyan. If you are interested in participating in a short-term class led by Rabbi Rosenbaum (on Halacha and Kavanah) and Rabbi Ozzie Burnham (on Nusach and melody), please contact email@example.com. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B’Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you’re interested in sponsoring, please contact email@example.com
Tefillas Rosh Hashanah for Women – Shiur for women with Rabbi Reingold. This Shabbos, September 12, 5:45 PM – 6:30 PM at the home of Meera & Stephan Miller, 1015 Arcola Avenue.
Tekiah, Shvarim, T’ruah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can’t get to Shul? Volunteers are also needed to blow Shofar. To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, or to volunteer, contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or ATrombka@verizon.net
Mikvah Hours for Men on Erev Rosh Hashanah:
* Kemp Mill (Wallerstein Mikvah) : 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM
* Woodside (Ballard St.) : 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Free for full members, adults $20, children/students $10. Bring your own towels. Volunteers needed: contact firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp Mill based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing aid requests. On Yom Tov, Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington, supplements the support it provides through its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at http://www.tomcheishabbosgw.org/ The Franco Foundation’s help for essentials like rent, mortgage, and utilities, relieves stress so our neighbors can experience Simchas Yom Tov. To donate: Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or through Paypal, at email@example.com
Toastmasters’ Meeting – will resume on Wednesday, September 30.
The Keys to a Meaningful Yom Kippur Mussaf – TGN presents Mr. Alan Sussman. Help understand the Yom Kippur service and use its inspiration to add holiness to your life. Thursday, September 17, 10:00AM – 11:00 AM, Woodside Synagogue. For more information contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773, firstname.lastname@example.org
MaTan Mother-Daughter Bat Mitzvah Learning Program – Celebrate with mother-daughter Chavruta style learning. This program examines 9 women from Jewish history who are positive role models while challenging mother & daughter to ask “Where do I fit into this chain?” A fresh approach with art, drama & movement, in addition to textual study. Classes begin after Sukkos. To register and for more info: https://www.kmsynagogue.org/matan-learning-2015.html
Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington as we celebrate a caring community and honor Gary Winters, Doris Leeds, Sharon Dekelbaum and David Abrams. Sunday, October 25 at 10:00 AM (Brunch!) at Beth Sholom Congregation. Visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
Sukkah Assistance – The boys from the Yeshiva will be available to help those who need help put up their Sukkah. Please call Rabbi Hes at 301-649-7077 ex: 1528.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Resumes, Interviewing, Federal Jobs – Free classes for Montgomery County residents. Many classes in Wheaton. Info and register at http://www.montgomeryworks.com/calendar.asp
Sandy Spring Ropes Course on Sukkot – Thursday, October 1. 9:00AM, 9:30AM, 10:00AM, 10:30AM. To sign up and for more info, visit: http://bookeo.com/sandyspringtrees Click on Private Events/Fundraising.
Tzom Gedaliah Schedule
Wednesday, September 16
* Fast Begins 5:29
* Early Mincha 1:45 (Arcola)
* Mincha 6:40 (Arcola), 6:30 (Sephardi)
* Maariv 7:30 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 7:56
The Week Ahead
Sun., Sept. 13 – Erev Rosh Hashanah Mon., Sept. 14 – Rosh Hashanah Tues., Sept. 15 – Rosh Hashanah Wed., Sept. 16 – Tzom Gedaliah Thursday, September 17 Friday, September 18
Arcola 5:30, 7:00, 8:00 See Rosh Hashanah schedule 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 6:40 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15
Arcola See Rosh Hashanah schedule 1:45, 6:40 / 7:30 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:30 6:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:01 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:55 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:36 PM
September 18-19, 2015 – 6 Tishrei 5776
Parshas Vayeilech – Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:54 – Havdalah 7:51
* Light Candles by 6:54
Arcola: 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:25 University: 6:05 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:51
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Monday, September 21, 8:00 PM
YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 16 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday and Tuesday,
Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director