Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 29-30, 2015 – 12 Sivan 5775 – Parshas Nasso
Light Candles by 8:07 (and not before 6:55) – Havdalah 9:14
* Light Candles by 8:07, and not before 6:55
Arcola: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:05 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 University: 8:05 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:14
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Marion & Fred Miller in honor of Aryeh's Bar Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Broder family in honor of Moshe's graduation from Georgetown Law School and passing the Maryland Bar exam.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in gratitude to the members of YISE for their outpouring of support, thoughtfulness and generosity in memory of our mother Hanna Fall Green Z"L, by Regina Berthold, Helene Goodman and Camille Butler and Family
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the birth of a new granddaughter, Ariella Yehudit, to their children Jenny & Ozer Katz of Beit Shemesh.
* Marion & Fred Miller on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Aryeh, and to his siblings Laina, Adena, Avi, Yael and Tzipora and to his grandparents Annie & Ted Parker and Eva Miller.
* Elle & Alex Nizhnikov and the older siblings Adami, Yochanan, and Shoshana on the birth of a new baby boy. Mazal tov to the grandparents Gail & Steven Munz and Galina & Alex Belfor. The Shalom Zachor will be at 1120 North Belgrade Road at 9:30 PM. The Bris will be held after the 6:45 Minyan on Monday June, 1.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Family and Youth Minyan – Shabbos, May 30, 9:05 AM in the Small Social Hall. YISE is exploring a new Minyan to address the growing needs of young families in the community. Please bring your children and help make this trial a success. Lots of singing with familiar tunes. D'var Torah geared toward elementary school age children. Kiddush following the Minyan. For more information, contact Josh Obstfeld at email@example.com
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, June 1, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Common Questions Regarding Brachos on Food." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, June 1 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to Wish a Mazal Tov and Make a Donation in Honor of That Special Granduate in Your Life? Donations of $18 will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts on Shabbos, June 5-6, along with your child's name, grade and school from which they have graduated. Please send your information to email@example.com or call 301-593-4465 x403 by June 3.
June Adult Educational Workshop: Life is a Road Trip! – Presented by YISE and BCGW. Get prepared for the next phase of the journey by learning how to be more proactive about addressing your own medical, legal and financial needs. Join Geriatric Specialist, Bernice Singer Schwartz, MSW, LCSW. Sunday, June 7, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM, at YISE. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-331-4481.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet on Friday this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Megillas Eicha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 9:00 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week and will resume on June 7.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University – the second Perek of Kiddushin.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Administrative Listings
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course, people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Safety Issue – Parents, please remind your child/ren that NO climbing is allowed on the stacks of chairs anywhere in the Shul. We do not want to see anyone hurt. Thank you for your cooperation.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will merge with the Family Minyan and will meet this Shabbos at 9:05 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
NOTE: This week and next (May 30 & June 6) are the last two weeks for full groups. There are NO GROUPS June 13 and only for the 2-5 year olds the rest of the summer.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
The Kosher and Shomer Shabbat Cub Scout Pack 452 invites boys entering grades 1-5 this fall to join us on Sunday, May 31 from 1:45 PM – 4:00 PM for a nature scavenger hunt and s'mores at Brookside. This is a family event – everyone is welcome! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sulam's 15th Annual Gala Dinner & Silent Auction – Tuesday, June 2. Honoring Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram with its Founder's Award. Cocktails and auction begin at 6:15, followed by dinner, at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center. Reservations can still be made through the morning of June 2. Please contact the Sulam office if you have any further questions at 301-962-9400 x 5523.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, June 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* 50+ Employment Expo – Meet dozens of recruiters, learn new job search skills. Monday, June 1, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. More info at http://www.accessjca.org/50plusjobexpos/
* Build Your Own Website – At Little or No Cost – Featuring Ronnie Baras. Monday, June 1, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM, YISE. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
NCSY Family Carnival Fundraiser – Sunday, June 7, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM at KMS. Children of all ages will enjoy games, food, prizes, and fun! All proceeds will benefit the Cheryl Stern Memorial Fund, to help NCSY teens in our area take the trip of a lifetime this summer to Israel and grow in their Judaism! Admission fee is $5, additional 25¢ per booth ticket. Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 31 Monday, June 1 Tuesday, June 2 Wednesday, June 3 Thursday, June 4 Friday, June 5
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:41 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
June 5-6, 2015 – 19 Sivan 5775
Light Candles by 8:12 – Havdalah 9:20
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 6:59
Arcola: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:05 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:20
Shabbos, May 30 Bar Mitzvah of Aryeh Miller, 8:00 Minyan
Shabbos, May 30 YISE Family and Youth Minyan, 9:05
Shabbos, May 30 8:45 Main Minyan Kiddush sponsored by the Broder Family
Wednesday, June 3 Senior Lunch, Opera Recital: Michael Consoli "Art of the Basso in Opera and Song"
Sunday, June 7 June Adult Educational Workshop: Life is a Road Trip!
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 3 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director