Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 17-18, 2016 – 12 Sivan 5776 – Parshas Nasso
Light Candles by 8:18 (and not before 7:03) – Havdalah 9:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Spolter children in honor of the retirement of Shaine Spolter.
Mom, as an educator, mother and Bubby, you have touched so many hearts with your passion, knowledge and love for teaching. We are extremely proud of your accomplishments. Your new job is to enjoy your retirement to the fullest.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the marriage of her granddaughter Gitty Weber, daughter of Ephraim Weber, to Adam Edelstein of Detroit.
* Florence Avigan, who is being honored with a luncheon by the faculty of Springbrook High School for forty-nine years of service to the Montgomery County School System as a substitute teacher.
* The Kraiman family on the Bar Mitzvah of f Aryeh Leib Pesach (Ari).
* Rav Ahron Lopiansky on the passing of his mother, Esther Lopiansky. The funeral took place on Tuesday, with burial in Israel on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at 1106 North Belgrade Road through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule: Shacharis: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 7:30. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday: 8:25.
Please note: All Minyanim at University are cancelled this Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 8:18, and not before 7:03
Arcola: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva. Please note that this week they will start at 9:00.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:26
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 (9:00) Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 (9:00) Minyan – The Kraiman family in honor of Aryeh Leib Pesach's (Ari) Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Mussar Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
Special Shalosh Seudos this Shabbos
Join the Daf Yomi in a Siyum in honor of their completion of Maseches Kiddushin and the second Seder of the Talmud, Seder Nashim, this Shabbos, Parshas Nasso, June 18. Mincha at 7:45, followed by a festive Shalosh Seudos in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the Halachos of Travelling. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Fight the Bite: How can you reduce the threat of the Zika virus from mosquitoes? Dr. Joel Sklar, infectious disease specialist, and Dr. Richard Broth, a high-risk pregnancy obstetrician, will discuss the risk and the protective measures you can take. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum will introduce the program. Sunday, June 19, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE (Social Hall). Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed Committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
Tefillah in Times of Difficulty: A Unique Way to Connect – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, June 19, at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The First Annual YISE Volunteer Appreciation Kiddush will take place after the 8:45 Main Minyan on Shabbos, July 9, recognizing the many volunteers who make our Shul so special. Contact email@example.com to sponsor.
Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a lead teacher for the two-yearold class for the 2016-2017 school year. We are also seeking parttime and full-time assistants. For more information, please check the school's website: nursery.yise.org/positions-available Send resume and cover letter to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 yearolds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, June 18, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Food Drive Results – This year our regional Pre-Pesach food drive collected almost 4,100 lbs from two dozen organizations, primarily synagogues, day schools, food stores, and apartment complexes. Donations went to the Washington area's largest community pantry, which helps provide food staples for the needy, including those distributed by the area's only kosher pantry, the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Join the GWCK for the Youth Summer Kollel! Monday – Thursday, June 20 – July 7, at the Kollel. Boys grades 5-6, 7:30 PM – 8:15 PM. Boys grades 7 – 9, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM. Raffles, prizes, and refreshments!
10th Anniversary Yitzhak Rabin Memorial Lecture – Presented by JPDS of the Nation's Capital, featuring U.S. Ambassador to Israel Daniel Shapiro. Monday, June 20 at 7:30 PM, at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue. Purchase tickets at jpds.org/rabin
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, June 22, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Yad Zlata Presents An Evening of Inspiring Music – Featuring the current Superstar Benny Friedman (of Yesh Tikva fame). JCC Kreeger Theater, Sunday, July 10. For further info and to RSVP please see our website: www.YadZlata.org Special rate concert tickets available through the Hebrew Academy Friends of Zlata: Call Mrs. Jennifer Zukerman at the BHA.
Dirshu Silver Spring is Starting Maseches Kesuvos on Monday, July 11. The Shiur covers 2-1/2 Daf a week. In Kemp Mill, we meet at the Boys Yeshiva. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) with Rabbi Eli Reingold or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) with Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner. Every 4th week is for review/catch up. Chavrusos are available. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 19 Monday, June 20 Tuesday, June 21 Wednesday, June 22 Thursday, June 23 Friday, June 24
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 8:25 8:25 8:25 8:25 8:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:39 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
June 24-25, 2016 – 19 Sivan 5776
Light Candles by 8:19 – Havdalah 9:27
* Light Candles by 8:19, and not before 7:04
Arcola: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 University: 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:27
Shabbos, June 18 Bar Mitzvah of Aryeh Kraiman
Sunday, June 19 Fight the Bite, 10:30 AM
Monday, June 20 The Man with the Truck, Social Hall, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, June 22 YISE Board Meeting, 8:30 PM
Shabbos, June 25 Aufruf of Benjy Karlin
Shabbos, July 2 Bar Mitzvah of Aryeh Miller
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 22 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director