Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 24-25, 2014 – 24 Shevat 5774 – Parshas Mishpatim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:02 – Havdalah 6:04
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lee, Craig and Ari Oppenheim in honor of Naftali Moshe's first birthday and the anniversary of his Ima and Abba, Naomi & Nate Fein.
* Light Candles by 5:02
* Mincha 5:05, 5:00 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:45 (Sephardi), 5:00 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:04
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz in honor of the Yahrtzeit of Marc's sister.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra”
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group”
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume in February.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:30 PM.
* Rabbi Silver -Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Shani & Elyakim Deutsch on the birth of a baby boy. The Shalom Zachar will be at 8:30 PM at the Deutsch residence, 11104 Bybee Street. Mazal Tov to the aunt & uncle, Becky & Elisha Simkovich.
* Sarah & Richard Weiss on the birth of a daughter, Dalia Aidel. Mazal Tov to grandparents Rita & Kheder Shukur and Joan & David Weiss and to big sister Temima.
* Vivian Silver on the passing of her husband, Bayer "Bud” Silver. The burial took place in Israel on Monday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – Shiur will meet next on Sunday, February 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. There will be a special mini-series on Febraury 4, 11, and 18 by Rabbi Akiva Leiman: Pass it on – The origins and transmission of the Torah based on the Rambam's introduction to Perush Hamishnayos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice” – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – Program will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Honorees: Jodi & David Mazel Young Leadership: Rachelli & Craig Simon and Youth Honorees: Tara Kugler – Naomi Merkin – Adena Miller
Ad Deadline – January 31 – email@example.com
Reservations and Seating Preference – Please respond by February 3
YISE Programs and Listings
New Shiurim with Rabbi Silver:
* Back to the Basics: An in-depth and textual study of the Thirteen Principles of Faith – Rabbi Silver will be giving the second of a twopart series on Monday night, January 27, 8:00 PM in the Beis Medrash.
* Halacha: A source-based study of relevant topics, beginning on Tuesday, January 28; note new start date due to the weather. Rabbi Silver will be giving a weekly Shiur for Men on Tuesday Night as part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.
Back by Popular Demand: Trivia Night – presented by the YISE Social Committee. General Knowledge Trivia Questions. This Motzei Shabbos, January 25 at 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall, Cost: $5 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT WEEK – Special Family Ruach Minyan – Next Shabbos, Friday, January 31, at 5:10 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday February 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
An Inspirational Shabbos – Presented by GWCK in conjuntion with YISE. Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and song. Shabbos, February 7-8, at YISE. Program highlights: Thought provoking lectures, elegant, enjoyable catered Friday night family dinner, and inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros (by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Simcha Leiner). To make reservations, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks – The YISE Office staff would like to thank the Schwechter children for baking the cookies for last week's Kiddushes.
Lost in Shul – A black Nissan car key was taken from the Nusach Sefard Minyan cabinet last Shabbos. Please contact the Shul office with any information.
The Trolley Problem and The Runaway Train: Triage Decisions in Halacha – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a Jewish Ethics lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter. Sunday, February 9 at 9:30 AM, YISE Social Hall.
Keeping Your Sanity with Tweens and Teens – A "bonus” parenting lecture by parent educator Judy Rosenthal,sponsored by YISE Youth.Sunday, February 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
Eldercare workshop: The Special Challenges of Long Distance Care Giving – Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE and KMS. Featuring Barbara Trainin Blank, an award-winning writer and the author of the recently published "What to Do about Mama.” Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at KMS. Light refreshments. Free admission. RSVP requested to email@example.com or 202 331-4481.
YISE Nursery Registration for 2014-2015 is now OPEN – Our Torah-based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and children's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. For inquiries contact 301 593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We have an immediate need for more volunteers. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-4 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Kindergarten groups meet in small Beis Medrash; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department presents Super Bowl Sunday At YISE! Sunday, February 2. Kick off 6:30 PM. All are welcome. Hot dogs and wings provided at a nominal fee. For more info contact Avi Litwack at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
Creating Am Yisrael: Exiting Gan Eden and Exiting Egypt – Lecture by Dr. Yael Ziegler, Woodside Synagogue, Wednesday, January 29, 7:30 PM. Dr. Yael Ziegler is a lecturer in Tanakh at Herzog College and Matan.
A special evening with the Koidenover Rebbe – All are invited to the home of Nachi Hirschfeld, 1131 Kersey Road on Wednesday, January 29. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 5:00 PM, followed by Maariv at 8:15 PM and an uplifitng Kumzitz. To schedule an app't with the Rebbe or for more info, please contact R' Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email@example.com.
TSGW 11th Annual Chinese Auction – Sunday, February 23, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Prize drawings begin at 8:30 PM. Admission: $25 per person. To reserve your entrance ticket in advance, contact 301-962-8003 ext. 2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org Order tickets online at www.tsgwauction.com
Job Assist Events:
* Word and Excel – Beginners – Online. Tuesday, January 28, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Info and register at www. oujobs.org
* Dreamweaver – Intermediate – Online. Wednesday, January 29, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Info and register at www. oujobs.org
* LinkedIn – Intermediate – Free workshop. Wednesday, February 12, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org
Message from the Mikvah Emunah Society – We regret to announce that the Ballard Keilim Mikvah is not open for use at this time. Please use the Keilim Mikvah at Kugler's or the Chabad Potomac Mikva until further notice. We will notify the community once the Ballard Keilim Mikvah has been repaired.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 26 Monday, January 27 Tuesday, January 28 Wednesday, January 29 Thursday, January 30 Friday, Jan. 31 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:00
Arcola 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:25 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
January 31 – February 1 2014 – 1 Adar 1 5774
Parshas Terumah – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 5:10 – Havdalah 6:11
* Light Candles by 5:10
* Mincha 5:10, 5:10 (Ruach), 5:05 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:50 (Sephardi), 5:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:11
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 25 YISE Trivia Night, 8:00 PM
Monday, January 27 The Man with the Truck,
6:00 PM to 9:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Friday, January 31 Ruach Minyan, 5:10, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 1 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Sunday, February 9 Parenting Lecture with Judy Rosenthal
Sunday, February 16 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 29, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director