Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 24-25, 2017 – 29 Shevat 5777 – Parshas Mishpatim – Parshas Shekalim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:37 – Havdalah 6:37
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson and Knizhnik families on the first Yahrzeit of Mikhail Knizhnik, Meir Ben Gidel Gerash, A"H.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the birth of a great-grandson, Chaim Shmuel Weber, to Tzippy & Noach Yitzchak Weber of Israel.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the birth of a grandson to their children Laia & Raffi Abberbock of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to all the relatives.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a granddaughter, Sarah, to their children Batsheva & Motti Tolchinsky of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to Sarah’s siblings, to grandmother Rebbetzin Rivka Winter Rothenberg, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Sharon Freundel and Arielle Katz on the passing of their father and grandfather, Walter Krug. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva will be observed through Monday morning in Teaneck, NJ.
* Joel Davis, Gale Teitelbaum, Rabbi Edward Davis, and Rabbi Kenneth Davis on the passing of their brother, Martin Davis, husband of Belle Davis. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at 7109 Lenhart Drive, Chevy Chase, MD 20815 through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:30, Monday and Tuesday: 7:30. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday and Monday: 5:45.
* Light Candles by 5:37
Arcola: 5:40, Ruach University: N/A Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:35 University: N/A Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:37
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Feigy & Rabbi Tuvia Grauman in honor of the first Yahrzeit of his brother, Moshe Menachem Ben R’ Yisroel Yehudah, Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Liat & Shaul Cohen in honor of their new baby girl, Elisheva.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Friends of Sharon & Moshe Caplan. We wish them best of luck on their new journey and heartfelt thanks to Moshe for his dedicated Gabbai service.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka’s Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher’s Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Naomi & Rabbi Hillel Shaps
Ruach Minyan – Friday, February 24, 5:40 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. There will be a special children’s story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It’s going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L’Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 25, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Allison & Jay Marcus. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Sunday, February 26 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM) and Monday, February 27 (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM), YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Purim: Using Simcha as a Way to Connect with Others – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 5, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child, Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living – Rabbi Rosenbaum will share some important reflections on Jewish parenting. Sunday, March 19, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This discussion is geared for parents of young children, nursery through grade 3. Please come prepared with your questions. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family’s information!
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B’Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 25, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Jewish Good Book Directory – Community members are invited either to list their households for the first time or to update their current listings. Please send your information ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Blowout Pop-Up Sale – Keshet Couture – Take 20% off everything in stock, including our huge selection of new arrivals. And Studio 805 – Wunderwig mega sale!! Plus, Orna wigs and all your favorite accessories! All wigs $850 – $1200. Benefitting Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Your chance to buy BCGW Purim cards! Motzei Shabbos, February 25, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM, 1216 North Belgrade Road.
Toastmasters’ Meeting – Wednesday, March 1, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA’s Career Gateway starts February 27. For info, contact Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
* Free Job Search Webinars – Offered by Peggy McKee. Week of February 27: Battling Ageism (February 28) and Perfect Interview Answers (March 1). For info and to register, http://careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
* Questions about these workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Kumzits with Eitan Katz – Kemp Mill Synagogue welcomes the entire community. Motzei Shabbos, March 4, at 8:00 PM at KMS. $10 cover charge per person.
Zoned In: The Halachos of Kavana – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, March 5. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 12:00 Noon Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:55 PM. Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shoe Drive – K’nafayim, a family services nonprofit serving the Jewish community in Maryland, is running a used shoe drive to raise funds for its services. These funds will be used to support marriages and families with low-cost counseling, workshops on dating, marriage, and parenting, abuse prevention initiatives, and more! Learn more at www.knafayim.com Please drop your shoes off (any style, any condition) at 606 Winona Court.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Celebrate Purim with YISE! Join us for a family Megilla reading followed by dancing and refreshments! Men, women and children of all ages are welcome and costumes are encouraged! Motzei Shabbos, March 11 at 7:30 PM.
Sixteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 12 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community’s children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda Purim Cards are Here! Support Tomchei Shabbos, the Kosher Food Pantry and more. Contact Debbie Katz at 301-675-6684 or email@example.com for more information. Only $2.50 each.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don’t wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L’Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L’Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery is seeking Full-Time and Part-Time Teacher Assistants for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for teacher assistants who want to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, ECE 90 Hour Course preferred. Please contact Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Feb. 26 – Rosh Chodesh Monday, Feb. 27 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, February 28 Wednesday, March 1 Thursday, March 2 Friday, March 3
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:45 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:35 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:28 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
March 3-4, 2017 – 6 Adar 5777
Light Candles by 5:45 – Havdalah 6:44
* Light Candles by 5:45
Arcola: 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:44
Friday, February 24 Ruach Minyan, 5:40 PM, YISE Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 25 Dor L’Dor, 7:45 PM, YISE Social Hall
Wednesday, March 1 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall
Purim Celebration with the Shomrai Nursery!
Shabbos, March 4 Bar Mitzvah of Doni Mond
Motzei Shabbos, March 4 Dor L’Dor, 7:45 PM, YISE Social Hall
Shabbos, March 11 Bat Mitzvah of Shoshana Savir
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 1 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager