Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 18-19, 2014 – 21 Tammuz 5774 – Parshas Matos
Light Candles by 8:13 (and not before 7:01) – Havdalah 9:18
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marla & Marty Teichman in memory of their son Jeffrey, Yosef Yona Ben Avraham Menachem Mendel.
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before 7:01
* Mincha 6:50 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Arcola, Univ.), 8:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, :15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 (Sephardi), 8:10 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:18
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Rochelle & Baruch Wertenteil in honor of the birth of their granddaughter, Chaya Esther (Ella) Wertenteil.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Stephanie Savir in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of her son, Yitzchok Shlomo.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 7:10
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Laurie & Fred Glogower on the engagement of their daughter, Becky, to David Chazen of Ra'anana, Israel.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the birth of a grandson, Yitzchak Dovid, born to Laya & Eli Greengart of Baltimore.
* Stephanie Savir on the Bar Mitzvah of her son, Yitzchok Shlomo. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Carolyn & Samuel Backman from Springfield, VA and Liz & David Savir of Boston, and to his siblings Pinchas Yosef and Shoshana.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth or a great-granddaughter, born to Tova & Yaakov Zehnwirth of Lakewood.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic and next we will be discussing "Using Crock Pots on Shabbos" – will resume on July 22.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume on July 22.
* The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.) – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University – will not meet for the next few weeks.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM.
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
YISE Programs and Listings
Tefilah in Times of Tragedy: The Power of Pertinent Prayer – A Shiur for women with Rabbi Silver. This Shabbos afternoon, July 19 at 4:00 PM at the home of Rose & Moshe Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Thoughts of the Three Weeks." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Recurring Tragedy: The Relevance of Mourning the Churban – The GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a special lecture by Rabbi Moshe Hauer , this Sunday, July 20, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. The lecture will be preceded by Mincha at 7:45 and followed by Maariv.
NEXT WEEK, Shabbos, July 26: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Anthony Manning, Senior Rav Mechanech, Michlelet Mevaseret Yerushalayim; Senior Lecturer, Midreshet Rachel v'Chaya College for Women and Shapell's Darche Noam Yeshiva.
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows): HaYashar VehaTov: Developing Religious Common Sense
* Before Mincha (7:00): Kavod HaBriyot: Recognizing Personal Dignity
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Ahavat Re'im: Balancing Self-Interest and Altruism
High Holiday Preparations Already? Check your mail for an envelope which was sent out last week with forms and information for High Holiday seating, baby-sitting services and High Holiday greetings in the Hashomer.
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. So that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals, please let us know at email@example.com
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course, people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Safety Issue – Parents, please remind your child/ren that NO climbing is allowed on the stacks of chairs anywhere in the shul. We do not want to see anyone hurt. Thank you for your cooperation.
The YISE Banquet Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with the banquet. Specifically, we are seeking volunteers to help obtain donations for a raffle that will be included as part of the banquet this year. The volunteers can also help design the raffle prize packages to be presented at the banquet. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Elise Saks (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Rachelli Simon (email@example.com). In addition, if anyone has anything to donate (jewelry, toys, baby gear, small appliances, etc.) to the raffle, please contact Elise or Rachelli.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Learn Talmud in-depth with a focus on practical applications – Rabbi Menachem Winter, beginning with Keitzad Mevarchim and the laws of blessings. This week's topic: Making a Blessing on Medicine – or Not.
* Parsha Discourses – Analyses of selected topics from the weekly Parsha – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. This week's topic: Parshas Masei: The Theology and Halachah Of Lotteries.
* Unraveling the Navi – An exploration of the Navi with classic commentaries, beginning with Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Dovid Brotsky. This week's topic: The Real Story of the Tribes of Reuvain and Gad.
* Before We Begin – Study Jewish philosophy through the introductions of the Rambam, beginning with the Introduction to Perek Chelek – the 13 Principles of Faith – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem. This week's topic: A Material Reward?
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer. It will resume in September.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walk-ins welcome. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-423-8810 – Shiurim will resume later in the summer.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 23, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute Presents:
* Ashreinu-Golden Opportunities of Doing Mitzvos – RebbetzinNechama Karlinsky. Tuesday, July 22, 7:30 PM, SEHC. Donation $8.
* Comparing the Etz HaDaas and the Cheit Ha-Eigel and How it Applies to Us – Seminary Style Shiur with Mrs. Rochie Reingold, Tuesday and Wednesday, July 29 and 30:
* Post Seminary Girls 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM at the home of Shaina Sragg, 10706 Huntwood Drive. Tuition $10.
* Everyone else: 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM in the YISE Beis Medrash. Babysitting available upon request $5 per child. Tuition $36 for both days.
For more information visit www.mesorahwomenslearning.com or contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347.
Mikvah Emunah Society Open House – The community is invited to the Wallerstein Mikvah, 913 Grays Lane, on Sunday, July 27, from 10:00 Am to 12:00 noon. This is an opportunity to receive a guided tour of the facility including the mechanical room, visit with Mikvah Manager, Mrs. Robin Niman, see the plaques acknowledging our donors, and learn about getting involved with the Mikvah Emunah Society. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org Job Assist Events:
* Online Job-Related Training – (1) Project Management. Series of 6 classes starts July 21. (2) Sketch-up (3D printing software). Series of 4 classes starts July 24. For both, info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 20 Monday, July 21 Tuesday, July 22 Wednesday, July 23 Thursday, July 24 Friday, July 25
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:03 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 25-26, 2014 – 28 Tammuz 5774
Parshas Masei – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:08 – Havdalah 9:11
* Light Candles by 8:08, and not before 6:57
* Mincha 6:45 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:10, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:10
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 8:05 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:11
Shabbos, July 19 Bar Mitzvah of Yitzchok Shlomo Savir
Monday, July 21 The Man With The Truck, Arcola Social Hall 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Shabbos, July 26 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Manning
Tuesday, August 12 YISE Board of Directors Meeting 7:30 PM at Arcola
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 23, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi
Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director