Download the October 26-27 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 26-27, 2012 – Parshas Lech Lecha – 11 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 5:55
* Mincha 5:55 (all locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ), 8:45
Mincha 2:30, 5:35 (Sephardi), 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:54
* 8:00 and 8:45 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra" with Cholent & Kugel sponsored by Shaul's.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9 AM in small Youth Room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet until further notice.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:50 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 4:50 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by their group.
QUIET! This is what is needed in the lower lobby during the 8 AM Minyan. Voices of adult conversations and boisterous children have been disturbing the sanctity of the Minyan, particularly when the door is open. PLEASE talk in soft voices, and please supervise your children.
YISE Adult Education Committee
Iranium powerfully reports on the threat of a nuclear-armed Iranian regime and highlights efforts within Iran to topple the government. Narrated by Academy Award nominee Shohreh Aghdashloo, the film uses rarely seen footage and interviews with 25 politicians, Iranian dissidents, and leading experts on Middle East policy, terrorism, and nuclear proliferation. Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Following the screening there will be a panel discussion.
Panelists: Sarah Stern, Claire Lopez and Michael Ledeen.
* Robin & Lawton Cooper and family on the recent marriage of their daughter Shoshana to Mark Gottlieb of Jerusalem.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Bertha Blumenthal on the marriage of their grandson and great grandson, Moshe Koss of Netivot, Israel to Batel Hadad of Modiin.
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer. The Shalom Zachor will be at 8 PM at their home, 718 Horton Drive.
* Shani & Yehuda Malka on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to grandparents Julie & Rabbi Raphael Malka and Janis & Ron Sterling. The Shalom Zachor will be announced.
* Marion & Bernie Muller on the birth of a son, to their children, Tova & Rafi Muller of Sde Yaakov, Israel. Mazal Tov to the extended Muller and Sackett families.
* The family of Rabbi Kalman Winter, zt"l. Shiva is at 301 Burnt Mills Avenue, through Tuesday morning.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us for the important and relevant topic of "The Mitzva of Lending and Prohibition of Interest: Common Issues". Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Sisterhood – Join YISE Sisterhood on November 4, 2012 from 7:30-9:30 PM in Kemp Mill, as Rachelle Ferneau, creator of Dear Coco truffles, introduces us to the world of chocolate and chocolate-making. Participate in a fun chocolate trivia game and receive a lesson in the art of chocolate-tasting. Receive a specially prepared box of decadent truffles and literature related to those specific chocolates. Discuss your chocolate experience with friends as you enjoy other light refreshments and a fantastic evening out. Cost for the event is $20. RSVP and payment is REQUIRED in advance, and must be received no later than Sunday, October 28. Checks made out to "YISE Sisterhood" should be sent to Hedy Bauman, YISE Sisterhood Treasurer, at 1131 University Blvd. W., Apt #610, Silver Spring, 20902. To RSVP, contact Esther Goldfeiz at EGoldfeiz@yise.org. You will then be informed of the event location.
Got Medicare – Learning how to choose the right Medicare plan can save you hundreds of dollars in 2013. Hilary Dalin, expert in Federal aging programs, explains how to make the most of your options during Open Season, now through December 7. Sunday, October 28, 9:30-11:30 AM in the small Beis Medrash. Eldercare program sponsored by Bikur Cholim, YISE, and KMS.
Come and Learn Jewish History – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee co-sponsor Rabbi Koss speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, November 5, 1:30- 2:30 PM at Marvin Konick's, 1111 University Blvd, Apt. 215. Light refreshments served. For more information contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee is starting a new program in collaboration with Bikur Cholim and other services to help members undergoing serious medical crises. When the needs arise, we will need a pool of volunteers to help provide meals, carpools, childcare, etc. To volunteer or for info contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org. Pick up signup form in the lobby. Correction to Two Week's Ago Shorts
The YISE Sisterhood thanks the following sponsor for making the Simchas Torah Kiddush possible: Jonathan Bart
Community Programs and Listings
1st Grade Girls' Shabbos Group will meet on October 27 at the home of Willa Rothenberg, 11746 Lovejoy St, from 4:15 – 5:30 PM.
2012 Yeshiva Alumni Basketball Game – Please come out and cheer for the current and former Yeshiva teams this Motzei Shabbos at 8:30 PM at the Yeshiva Girls' Campus, 2010 Linden Lane. Admission is free. Your support is greatly appreciated!
2nd annual Parshat Noach Petting Zoo hosted by the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy with lunch/refreshments for sale (hot dogs, cotton candy, chips and more). Sunday, October 28, Noon to 3 PM. Rain or shine, 1401 Arcola Avenue. Fore more information 301-592-8433 or www.lbja.org. Admission – $10 per child and a maximum of $30 per family.
Out-of-the-Box Ways to Find Your Next Job – Learn how to use YouTube, a personal website, blogging, and writing articles in your job search. Free workshop, featuring Ronnie Baras. Monday, October 29, 7:30-9 PM, in the YISE small Beis Medrash. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
QuickBooks for Beginners-Online – Monday, October 29. Two classes: 1:30–3:30 PM and 7-9 PM. Sponsored by OU. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
4-Day Executive Boot Camp – Tuesday-Wednesday, October 30-31 and November 6-7. 9 AM-4 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road Rockville. Sponsored by JSSA. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
JobKatif Benefit Concert, ‘Music and the Message of Gratitude' Motzei Shabbos, November 17, 8:30 PM, Beth Tfiloh Mintzes Theater, 3300 Old Court Road, 4 dynamic Rabbis, 12 accomplished musicians, directed by Avraham Rosenblum of the Diaspora Band. All contributions matched by the Israeli Government on 3 to 1 basis. Adults $36 and Children (under 18) $18. For ticket and sponsor information 410-409- 8967 or email@example.com.
Yoga Teacher Training for Women – Don't miss this unique opportunity in the DC/Baltimore area. An internationally recognized RYT-200 Yoga Alliance-accredited teacher training for women that incorporates Torah values is now available in our area. Learn to become a yoga teacher or just deepen your practice. Classes begin mid-November and space is very limited. Contact Shevi Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or (240) 643-7055 for more details.
Tefilla Gems for Women – Discover the beauty and power of our daily prayers with Sara Malka Winter. Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. For a listing of classes or more info, find us at www.gwckollel.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's Annual Event will take place on Sunday, November 4 at 10:00 am at KMS. Honorees are Sara Glashofer, Lori Greenberg Tolchin and Irit Rasooly Goldman. Journal deadline is October 26, 2012. For more information and to make a reservation: www.bikurcholimgw.org or email@example.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday October 28 Monday October 29 Tuesday October 30 Wednesday October 31 Thursday November 1 Friday November 2
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 See Shabbos
University 5:55 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) Schedule
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:45 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:11 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
November 2-3, 2012
18 Cheshvan 5773
Light Candles by 5:47
* Mincha 5:50 (all locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:30 (Sephardi), 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:46
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour
Friday, Nov. 2 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, Nov. 7 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12 Noon
Saturday, Nov. 10 Yosef Kugler's Bar Mitzvah
Saturday, Nov. 10 Dor l'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, Nov. 11 Adult Ed. Cmte. Veteran's Day Program
Tuesday, Nov. 13 Elzee's, Arcola, 11 AM to 9 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Oct. 31, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday, 9 AM-5 PM and Friday 9 AM – 1 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, zt"l
Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director