Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 23-24, 2015 – 11 Cheshvan 5776 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 6:00 – Havdalah 6:58
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler on the birth of a grandson, Eitan Shimshon, born to Hava & Avi Freidenreich of Highland Park, NJ.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the marriage of Shuli to Alex Barenbein, son of Anita & Manoel Barenbein of Sao Paolo, Brazil.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-grandson, Nitai Yair, born to Dina & Matan Eliezer, of Beit Shemesh and to brother Yochai.
* Judy & Sheldon Klein on the birth of a son to their children, Devorah & Manor Lev-tov, of Brooklyn.
* The Savir family on the occasion of Pinchos Yosef's Bar Mitzvah. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents, Carolyn & Samuel Backman and Liz & David Savir.
* Light Candles by 6:00
Arcola: 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:58
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Naama & Meir Ofri on the birth of a new baby girl and by Nino Srour in memory of Moshe Ben Luna, David Ben Luna, Cecil Bat Zahiyeh, Luna Bat Aliza, and Zahiyeh Bat Bolissa.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Savir Family in honor of Pinchos Yosef's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:35 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:25 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Shalva & Enoch Resnick, 1131 University Blvd. W., apt. 706. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Liset & Sebastian Cohen, Rachel & Chanoch Kanovsky, Melissa & Chaim Lazarus, Hedy Ross, and Naomi Zwillinger
Going Deep: The Meaning of the Shema – Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women continues on Monday nights, October 26 and November 2 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM in the large Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more informattion, contact email@example.com
Simply Tsfat Concert – Motzei Shabbos, October 31, 8:00 PM at YISE. General admission tickets $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Family ticket package $35 maximum. Sponsorship $100 – includes two tickets. Light refreshments. For more information or to RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 ext. 401 or 403 or register online www.yise.org/concert
Curious about the Keilim Mikvah – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a class on Sunday morning, November 1, 11:00 AM in the YISE Social Hall (and, weather permitting, continue outside) to explain the Halachos behind its construction. He will also give a class Monday, November 9 at 8:00 PM to review the Halachos of its proper use.
Late Maariv – There will be a Maariv Minyan in the Large Beis Medrash at 7:30 PM, Monday through Thursday evenings during Standard Time, starting November 2.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, November 2, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Addiction: How do you recognize it and where do you find help in our community? Learn from a panel of treatment professionals, an Al-Anon member, and someone who faced a family member's addiction. Opening remarks by YISE Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, all of the synagogues in Kemp Mill, and several other Jewish organizations and schools. Sunday, November 8, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon in the YISE Social Hall.
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Our weekday Minyanim are reciting Psalms 121 and 130. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can also recite 20, 83, and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the World, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Women of all ages are invited to join us for our second annual event, Motzei Shabbos, November 14 at 7:30 PM. See flyer for more details and RSVP to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact email@example.com
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo – Sunday, October 25, 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM on Level 3 of Ballston Mall in Arlington, Va. Featuring over 40 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card or insurance), live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. Keynote speaker: best-selling author Gail Sheehy. Walk from Ballston Metro or park at Mall.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, October 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
In Times Such As These: What Can We Do? – 13th Annual Yahrzeit Rachel Imeinu Video to be shown at SEHC, October 31, 8:15 PM. How we can emulate Hashem's mercy? With an intro by HaRav Shmuel Kaminetsky, Shlita, featured speakers are Rebettzin Tzipora Heller and Rebettzin Tehila Jaeger and a message from Rav Yitzhok Dovid Grossman and Rav Osher Weiss. For women and girls only. Suggested donation is $10. All proceeds go to Aniyei Eretz Yisroel. For more info please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Tips o n How to Apply for Jobs – Free webinar, Wednesday, November 4, 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM. Replay available for 3 days. Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
* Use LinkedIn to Get Hired – Free webinar, Tuesday, November 3, 12:00 noon. Info and register at http://www.allthingscareer.com/linkedin
GWCK VIP Trip to Lakewood – Men's VIP trip to Lakewood, NJ for "A Day of Learning and Inspiration." Highlights include a learning session together with thousands of Torah scholars, an exclusive tour of Beis Medrash Govoha campus, a private lunch with Rabbi Aaron Kotler, CEO of BMG, and much more! Sunday, November 8, departing 7:00 AM and returning (estimated) 10:30 PM. $50 cost includes transportation, breakfast, snacks, and lunch. Reservations required and spaces limited. To RSVP or for more info, contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at 513-313-4899 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Berman Hebrew Academy invites you to take a tour or attend one of our informational sessions:
* Tours of the Preschool and Lower School: November 16, December 18, January 13, and February 18, 9:30 AM at the school.
* Preschool and Lower School informational meetings: November 16, 7:30 PM (Kemp Mill), November 22, 10:00 AM (Potomac), December 21, 7:30 PM (Shepherd Park).
* Middle School informational meeting: December 2, 7:30 PM, at the school.
* Upper School Parents meeting and panel discussion with current students: December 20, 6:30 PM, at the school.
For more information and to RSVP visit www.mjbha.org Admissions Events or contact Admissions Director Elana Stein at 301-962-9400, x5630 or email@example.com
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 25 Monday, October 26 Tuesday, October 27 Wednesday, October 28 Thursday, October 29 Friday, October 30
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 6:00 6:00 6:00 6:00 6:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:41 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:09 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
October 30-31, 2015 – 18 Cheshvan 5776
Light Candles by 5:51 – Havdalah 6:50
* Light Candles by 5:51
Arcola: 5:55 University: 5:55 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:50
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
Shabbos, October 23-24 Bar-Mitzvah of Pinchos Yosef Savir
Motzei Shabbos, October 31 Simply Tsfat Concert, 8:00 PM
Sunday, November 1 Curious about the Keilim Mikvah, 11:00 AM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 7 First Dor L'Dor of the Season, 6:45 PM
Sunday, November 8 Addiction Panel, 10:30 AM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 14 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Shabbos, November 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 28 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director