Download the June 7-8, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 7-8, 2013 – 30 Sivan 5773 – Parshas Korach – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 8:13 (and not before 7:00) – Havdalah 9:21
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Esther & Jacob Edeson on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Dovid Levy Stern, and also on the 51st Wedding Anniversary of Esther & Jacob Edeson.
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before 7:00
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 , 8:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 (Sephardi), 7:55 (Univ.), 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:21
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Binyamin Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – Friends of the Felsens, in honor of their move to Kemp Mill.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of the Graduates and in honor of the Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Binyamin Silver.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:40 PM.
* Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Assistant Rabbi Search
The YISE Board and Rabbi Rosenbaum have approved three candidates for the position of Assistant Rabbi. This week is the second of the three where we welcome the candidates. The third date is Shabbos, June 15.
Welcome to Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Rabbi Binyamin Silver will Daven at the 8:00 Minyan (brief Dvar Torah) and attend the Kiddush; speak after (no earlier than 10:45) the 8:45 Minyan (12-15 min. Dvar Torah) and attend the Kiddush; teach a Shiur between regular Mincha and Maariv on Shabbos; and attend a Meet & Greet in the Social Hall on Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM, followed by a Q & A with the Congregation from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM.
Refer to the letter, sent by Cyberbrief and available at Shul, for more information on the schedule for the next few weeks and the complete selection process.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the marriage of her grandson Baruch Ber, son of Rabbi & Mrs. Yisroel Anemer to Chani Lieberstein of Chicago.
* Florence & Joel Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Shir. Parents are Yehudit & Daniel Shulman of Bnai Brak. Mazal Tov to the entire Mishpacha.
* Rysel & Ethan Cohen on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Celia & David House of Silver Spring, and Jayne Cohen of Southfield, Michigan, and the entire Mishpacha. The Shalom Zachor will be held in the Warwick Party Room at 9:00 PM. The Bris will follow the 8:45 Minyan and the Dvar Torah.
* Esther & Jacob Edeson on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Dovid Levy Stern, son of Raizel & Tommy Stern of Brooklyn. Mazal Tov to the entire Edeson & Stern families.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the birth of a grandson, Shalom Michoel, born to their children Chavi & Benjamin Markowitz of Baltimore.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Shalhevet. Parents are Orel & Avi Hirschhorn, & grandparents are Lisa & Shimon Hirschhorn of Israel.
* Steve Siesser and family on the birth of a grandson to his children Shana & Daniel Siesser and to the siblings, Yael and Kelilah. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 605 Bromley Road at 9:00 PM.
* Holly & Alan Zimmerman on their daughter Shoshana's passing the California State Bar exam, and on their daughter Aliza's induction into the Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society.
* Jared Dunkin on the passing of his father, Art Dunkin. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Roanoke, VA. Shiva will continue at his home, 612 Hyde Road, through Monday morning. Minyan schedule: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday 8:15. Shacharis: Sunday 9:00, Monday 6:50.
* Masha Katz on the passing of her mother, Elsa Silberberg. The funeral took place on Tuesday in North Miami Beach, FL. Shiva will continue at her home, 7 Fulham Court, through Monday morning.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony. Will resume on June 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall. Will not meet on June 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash. Will resume on June 19.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM. Will resume on June 23.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:45 PM.
The Youth Minyan will join and lead services at the 8:45 Minyan this Shabbos, Parshas Korach, Rosh Chodesh.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10 AM until after the Assistant Rabbi candidate finishes speaking. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Youth Shabbos this Week – The Youth Minyan will join and lead services at the 8:45 Minyan this Shabbos, Parshas Korach, Rosh Chodesh. The Graduates' Kiddush will follow the 8:45 Minyan. A youth/family Seudah Shlishit will meet in the large social hall at 5:20, following the 5:00 Mincha. Suggested ages are pre-school through 3rd grade. Parents and other siblings are welcome.
YISE Together-for-5 – Resumes this Monday, June 10!!! Join us for a 3 week series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Tevilas Kelim (immersing new vessels in the Mikvah). For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Shalom Rosner, Rav, Yeshivot Reishit Yerushalayim and Shaalvim; Rav, Nofei Hashemesh Community, Beit Shemesh; Maggid Shiur, OU Daf Yomi Online. Shabbos Parshas Balak, June 22. Schedule: After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan – "The Art of the Chumra" – Kiddush follows; One hour before Mincha – "Kibbud Av Va'em"; Between Mincha and Maariv – "Memory & Mitzvos: The Secret of the Six Zechiros."
Planning for your retirement? You need to decide whether to enroll in Medicare. What are your Medicare options if you have Federal health insurance? How do Federal insurance benefits work with Medicare; who pays first? Learn from Leslie Fried, policy director/National Council on Aging, and Hilary Dalin, an expert in Federal programs for seniors. Eldercare program sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, SSJC, and KMS. At KMS on Sunday, June 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM.
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online – QuickBooks/Intermediate Tuesday, June 11, and SQL/Beginners, Wednesday, June 12. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* LinkedIn-Intermediate – Free workshop for experienced users. Wed, June 19, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* Financial Smarts for Women – Thursday, June 20 and 27, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, 701 King Farm Boulevard, Rockville. Info and register at alevin@AccessJCA.org.
* Resumes-Beyond the Basics – Featuring Joe O'Hare. Monday, June 24, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Silver Spring Jewish Center, 1401 Arcola Ave. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
Community Service Day – co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. Come do a mitzvah! Two options: do one or do them both. On July 14, we will be doing a park cleanup from 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon. Bags and gloves will be distributed by the steps at the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park. From 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM, come help out at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd, 301-608-3504 (limited to 20 people). Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP for A Wider Circle, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei – 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. Special thanks to Ruthie & Mort Cohen for sponsoring this week's Pirchei! This week will be the last Pirchei of the school year.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Women's Daytime Tehillim, Wednesdays, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Contact Arleeta Lerner for information, 301-649-0552. Note new time.
Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah presents Rabbi Yizhak Grossman on the topic: Beis Din Demystified: A Comparison and Contrast of the Modern Beis Din System with its Secular Counterpart. Sunday, June 9, 7:15 PM.
Positive Parenting with Love and Discipline – presented by Mrs. Rivkah Levitansky, Sunday, June 9 at 8:30 PM. YGW Boys Campus. Couvert $5. Open to women of the community. For more info: Mrs. Rachie Reingold 301-592-9210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy's 69th Anniversary Celebration at Dave and Busters in White Flint Mall, Monday, June 10, 6:30 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information: www.mjbha.org/events.
M-NCPPC Montgomery Parks invites you to review the design plans for Kemp Mill Urban Park at a community meeting on Tuesday, June 11 at 7:30 PM at KMES. Your input and ideas on the proposed playground are of particular interest. For more information, visit: http://montgomeryparks.org/pdd/cip/kemp_mill_urban_park.shtm.
EMET Rays of Light in the Darkness Dinner – June 19. Honoring those that stand up for Israel. Bret Stephens, Reza Kahlili, and members of Congress. Register at www.emetonline.org. Dinner will be Kosher certified by the Vaad.
Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah's Annual Banquet – Celebrating its 50th Anniversary, Honoring Lewis Kest. Sunday, June 23, at 6:00 PM at Woodside Synagogue. For more information: www.wsat.org/banquet.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 9, Rosh Chodesh Monday, June 10 Tuesday, June 11 Wednesday, June 12 Thursday, June 13 Friday, June 14
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:20 N/A N/A 8:20 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:37 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
June 14-15, 2013 – 7 Tammuz 5773
Light Candles by 8:17 – Havdalah 9:25
* Light Candles by 8:17, and not before 7:03
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:30 , 8:20
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 (Univ. and Sephardi), 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:25
Shabbos, June 8 Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Monday, June 10 Basic Colors, 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Tuesday, June 11 Elzee's, Arcola Social Hall, 11:30 AM to 8:30 PM
Thursday, June 13 YISE Nursery Graduation
Shabbos, June 15 Assistant Rabbi Candidate: Rabbi Sandor Shulkes
Monday, June 17 The Man With the Truck, Arcola, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Tuesday, June 18 Assistant Rabbi Election Congregational Meeting
Shabbos, June 22 Scholar-In-Residence: Rabbi Shalom Rosner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 12, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director