Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 17-18, 2017 – 20 Adar 5777 – Parshas Ki Sisa – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 6:59 – Havdalah 7:59
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Eileen & Stan Goldschmidt in memory of Eileen's sister, Annette Weisman, on the occasion of her Yahrzeit on 19 Adar.
* Nechama Goodman on passing the licensing exam required for attaining her LCSW-C (Licensed Certified Social Worker – Clinical) credential.
* Debbie & Marc Katz on the engagement of their son Benjy to Chaviva Kay, daughter of Debbie & Rabbi Shmuel Kay of St. Louis. Mazal Tov to Benjy's siblings, Sara & Josh Katz, Rafi Katz and Nechama & Ezra Katz.
* Shana & Hirschel Wohl on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to big brothers, Reuven and Shalom and grandparents, Marsha & Yitzchak Kasdan and Miriam & Michael Wohl The Shalom Zachor will be at 9:30 PM in the 1111 University Towers G-Level party room.
* Light Candles by 6:59
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 University: N/A Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:59
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Chaim Neustadter in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of his father, Israel Neustadter.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Nir in memory of Rima Rina Bat Simcha and by Luna & Avi Peretz.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Special Topic: Seder and the Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child, Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living – Rabbi Rosenbaum will share some important reflections on Jewish parenting. Sunday, March 19, 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This discussion is geared for parents of young children, nursery through grade 3. Please come prepared with your questions. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Open House – Tuesday, March 21 at 7:45 PM. Our staff and faculty are dedicated to making every child's introduction to school a time of joy, wonder and exploration, while gaining a foundation in spiritual development. Our goal is to light the spark in each child for a future of Torah life and a passion for continued learning. Come learn more about our program on Tuesday, March 21 at 7:45 PM. 813 University Blvd West – Social Hall. Visit our website http://nursery.yise.org/ Call 301-593-7365 or email email@example.com to RSVP
Improve your Kavanah through the Siddur's Fine Print – Rabbi Hirsh Chinn will explain the origins and meanings of the short "prayers before we pray" we find in the Siddur: the Y'hi Ratzons, Hineni Muchans, and the like. Tuesday, March 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. Free and open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Pesach HaShomer – YISE publishes the HaShomer twice a year, prior to Pesach and the High Holidays. It provides the definitive guide to the many events, times, relevant rituals and resources during these active and complicated seasons of the year. It is a valuable reference that is consulted repeatedly. If you would like to submit an article (subject to approval and editing) or an ad (1/4, 1/2 or full page), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. For ads, PDF or high-resolution images sized to the printable area (printable area: full page = 6-1/4" wide x 7-3/4" high; 1/2 page = 6-1/4" wide x 3-3/4" high; 1/4 page = 3" wide x 3-3/4" high) are preferred. Ads may also be submitted as Word documents. The deadline for the Pesach edition of the HaShomer is Friday, March 24. If you are submitting an article or ad, please let us know ASAP so we can reserve space.
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee is seeking nominations (and self-nominations) for open board of director and officer seats. Among the positions to be filled are president and treasurer. Please send nominations (and/or questions) to email@example.com
Wine Tasting – You are invited to a wine tasting with Jeff Morgan, winemaker and co-proprietor of Covenant Winery. Motzei Shabbos, March 25, 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. $18 per person. RSVP to www.yise.org/wine Payment via PayPal or check to the Shul office must be received by Monday, March 20.
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 2: Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM! Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome. Visit http://www.shalomdc.org/kempmillparkgdd2017 Good Deeds Day 2017 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE:
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, May 21
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
If you would like to be on the committee please contact Sharon Shimoff (email@example.com) or Michael Shimoff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of former YISE member Alan Goldman. The funeral took place on Thursday in Israel.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – will not meet this week.
Pirchei is Starting! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to Pirchei! Begining this Shabbos, Parshas Ki Sisa, March 18, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. This week is sponsored by Judy & David Marwick in memory of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L. To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Division Science Fair – Sunday, March 19, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM. Recognition Ceremony at 3:15 PM. At the YGW Girls Campus Cafeteria. Open to the community. Family Friendly Science Demonstrations 1:45 PM and 2:45 PM. For further info please contact Mr. Izsak, email@example.com or Mr. Andersen, firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-649-7077 ext. 1511.
Playing G-d: Promise and Pitfalls of Gene Editing – DC Lunch and Learn. Monday, March 20. RSVP to email@example.com
Toastmasters' Spring Contest – Wednesday, March 22, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Come see members of Kemp Mill Toastmasters compete for Best Speaker and Best Evaluator, with the winners going on to the Area 74 Contest. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Linda Silverman Kahan A"H Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 2 at 10:00 AM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Guest lecturer David Makovsky will be speaking on the topic of "After 125 Campus Visits – Preliminary Impressions about Israel, BDS, and the Next Generation of American Jews." Find out more information and register at www.sulam.org/events
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* JCA 50+ Employment Expo – Free. Monday, April 3, 1 0:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center.
* Questions about this and other workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Seventh Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 29, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
BCGW Pre-Pesach and Spring Boutique – Sunday, March 19, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Hats, art, clothing, jewelry and more! A portion of the proceeds benefits Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman, 301-351-1725 or email@example.com
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Handmade Shmurah Matzah, regular or whole wheat, will be available from Shatzer Bakery at $23 per pound. Order deadline is 3:00 PM, Friday, March 24. To order, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the number of pounds of regular and whole wheat. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, March 29, or Thursday, March 30, from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE in the Arcola Social Hall. Online ordering at www.yise.org/matzah
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur – Sunday, April 2, 8:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Pre-Pesach Food Drive – Annual Pre-Pesach Food Drive (Chometz Begone), now in its fifteenth year, runs through April 5. Donations go to the Capital Kosher Pantry, which serves hundreds of Jewish individuals and families in our communities. Participating in this drive are diverse organizations, synagogues in Kemp Mill and beyond, schools in the Greater Washington area, food stores, apartment complexes, and a community center. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to designated containers. Every little bit helps!
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chitim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 19 Monday, March 20 Tuesday, March 21 Wednesday, March 22 Thursday, March 23 Friday, March 24
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:21 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:08 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
March 24-25, 2017 – 27 Adar 5777
Parshas Vayakhel Pekudei
Parshas Hachodesh – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:06 – Havdalah 8:06
* Light Candles by 7:06
Arcola: 6:30, 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:06
Monday, March 20 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, March 25 Wine Tasting, 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM
Sunday, April 2 Global Good Deeds Day
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 22 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager