Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 16-17, 2013 – 11 Elul 5773 – Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:43 (and not before 6:37) – Havdalah 8:43
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored anonymously this week in honor of YISE's irreplaceable office staff, Esther Edeson, Alan Zimmerman, Simi Franco and Sahra Ginsburg, for all the hard work and effort they put into running the Shul on a daily basis.
* Light Candles by 7:43, and not before 6:37
* Mincha 6:25 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Ruach Minyan), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:43
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – James & Simon families in memory of their mother/grandmother, Betty A. Baum's first Yahrzeit. (The kiddush will be Milchig and Pareve.)
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Hirschel Wohl – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, August 21.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, following Mincha/ Maariv.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Yitzy, son of Chavi & Benjy Markowitz of Baltimore.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the birth of a granddaughter, Frieda, to their children Fayge & Chaim Kasdan of Cedarhurst, NY. Mazal Tov to the big sisters, Miri and Ryzee, to grandparents Malky & Pinny Hikind, and to the baby's great-grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Betzalel Miller, son of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Cape Town (formerly of Boston). Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Zeev, and to great-grandmother Dena Gerber of Baltimore.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Lasdun family in honor of Ezzie's Bar Mitzvah.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in this week: Naomi & Ori Carmel, Allison & David Ginsberg, Dr. David Lerner, Denise Behar & Adrian Magendzo, Emilie & Rabbi Yitzchok Merkin, Michelle & Andrew Penn, and Esther & Dr. Yehuda Strauss
Return of the Ruach Minyan! This Shabbos, August 16 at 7:15 PM in the large social hall. Please contact Adam with questions: email@example.com or (301)943-4370.
Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day! Sunday, August 18 at YISE. 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Sheitels, Tichels, Hats, Women's And Girls' Jewelry, Make-Up, Hand-Painted Yarmulkes, and more. Including: Lena's Sheitels, Judith De Paris Hairwear, Asbury Hats, Kinderkrafts Jewelry, Mary Kay Cosmetics.
MiSheberach List – We will start a new Chlolim list on Shabbos, August 24. Anyone who wishes to keep names on the list should please contact Mrs. Esther Edeson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 ext. 402 by Thursday, August 22.
Save the Date: YISE Sisterhood Women's Seudah Shlishit – Shabbos afternoon, August 24, from 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM, in the YISE Arcola Social Hall. The theme of the Seudah is "New Beginnings." Attendees will enjoy Pareve "first foods" while meeting and mingling with other women from the community. A summer-themed Dvar Torah by Aviva Werner on the topic of "Getting Off to a Good Start" will follow. Desserts and drinks will conclude the program. All women are welcome and encouraged to attend! (We kindly request no children under the age of 12 years old.) Sponsorships are welcome at $18 (or more). Checks, which should be made out to YISE Sisterhood, should be sent to Hedy Bauman, Sisterhood Treasurer, 1131 University Blvd. W. #610, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
High Holiday Seating – This is a reminder to our members (both new and not new), that if you have not submitted your request for seats for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur that it should be done as soon as possible. Copies of the request form are located in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Please complete the form as soon as possible and return to the Shul office or to email@example.com. If there are any other questions about seating, please also send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please help the High Holiday Committee in ordering the number of extra chairs that we need to rent and to assign seating by sending us the information as soon as possible.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online – (1) Quickbooks—Intermediate, Monday, Aug. 26, and (2) SQL, Tuesday, Aug. 27. Information and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Rachel Bassan HorwitzFund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Community Programs and Listings
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah of Olney presents its 2nd Annual Seforim Sale – 600 quality used books & Seforim available for purchase. Books for children and young readers. Sunday, August 18, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon. Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah, 18318 Georgia Avenue, Olney. For more information: 301-518-5340 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Events:
* Juggling a Three Day Yom Tov- Eiruv Tavshilin and Other Relevant Halachos – A Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, August 19, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys' Campus. Presented by The Yeshiva of Greater Washington Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910
* Shloshim Program for Mr. Etan Savir, A"H – Men and women of the community are invited to join us as we mark the Shloshim of our esteemed Boys' Division Secular Studies Principal , Mr. Etan Savir, A"H, with Hespedim and a Siyum. Tuesday, August 20 at 6:45 PM followed by Mincha. YGW Boys Campus. For more information, please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Rabbi Hes at 240-475-9581.
* Yovel, Shofar and Redemption: A Reflection on the Cycle of Jewish Life – A special presentation for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Shlit"a, Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva Gedolah. Shabbos August 31, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Sanders, email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1510.
Kashrus Alert – Please be advised that Whole Foods semi-sweet chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chunks are no longer certified Pareve. They are certified dairy (non-cholov Yisroel) when bearing the OK-D symbol on the label.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a Pre Rosh HaShanah Boutique Wednesday, August 28, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM at the home of Golda & Marty Jacobs, 508 Stonington Road. Featuring hats, jewelry, serving pieces , skirts, shells, Sunflower Bakery products and more. For details go to www.bikurcholimgw.org.
High Holy Days Appeal – The Franco Foundation is an important part of our own community's safety net for individuals and families, which helps them pay for basic needs as they face a tough economy or manage with tragic emergencies. Please send your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal, at the firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also refer cases to email@example.com.
Shofar Blowing – If you are able to blow shofar or need to have shofar blown for you (at home), please contact Aron Trombka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-681-3025.
Shabbos and Yom Tov Program – Tough times are driving more people for financial assistance from the Tomchei Shabbos and Yom Tov program of the Yehudah Mond Foundation. Your monthly pledge, for as little as $10, provides steady income to meet year round needs. For details on contributing by phone, mail, or internet go to http://yehudamondfoundation.org/recurring_donations.asp.
Professional Clothing Drive – Donate your gently used professional cloths and accessories. Help men & women literally suit up for the office. For more information contact: email@example.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 18 Monday, August 19 Tuesday, August 20 Wednesday, August 21 Thursday, August 22 Friday, August 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:40 N/A N/A 7:40 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:35 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
August 23-24, 2013 – 18 Elul 5773
Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:33 – Havdalah 8:32
* Light Candles by 7:33, and not before 6:29
* Mincha 6:15 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:35
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 (Sephardi), 7:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:32
Friday, August 16 Ruach Minyan, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, August 18 Pre-Yom Tov Mall Day at YISE
Wednesday, August 21 Senior Lunch, Arcola 12:00 Noon
Shabbos, August 24 Bar Mitzvah Rachamin Akeeva Danesh, Sephardic Minyan
Shabbos, August 24 YISE Sisterhood Women's Seudah Shlishit
Sunday, August 25 YISE Social Committee Baseball Game
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 21, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director