Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 23-24, 2016 – 21 Elul 5776 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 6:44 – Havdalah 7:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler and Hannah & Mitch Carl on the birth of their new grandson, Aharon Tzvi Carl, born to their children Elisheva & Binyamin Carl of Olney. Mazal Tov to Grandpa Jack, Aunt B, Uncle Zeke, Tanta Taltal, Uncle Ami, Aunt Aviva, Uncle Azriel, Aunt Devorah, Aunt Hava and Uncle Avi and all the cousins!
* Sharon & Moshe Caplan on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Susan & Steven Braverman and Mindy & Lee Caplan, and big sister Ariella. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 1121 University Towers, Apartment 503 (the Kalish's) from 8:45 PM – 10:30 PM.
* Rivkah & Yehiel Mizrahi on the birth of a son. The Brit Yitzhak will be Friday at 9:30 PM at 1121 University Towers party room. (G Floor) and the Brit Milah will be Shabbat at 11:00 AM in the 1121 University Towers party room (G Floor).
* Daphne & David Price for the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Eyden. Mazal Tov also to Bubbie Barbara Price, Saba MosheLazar, sister Sarina, and to the aunts, uncles, cousins, extended family, and friends.
* Tova & Mattisyahu Welik on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sunny & Jerrold Hercenberg and Susana & Robert Welik, and siblings Tehila Esther and Eliyahu. The Bris will, IY"H, be at 11:20 AM at SSJC this Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 6:44
Arcola: 6:45, Ruach University: 6:45 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:40 University: 6:40 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:41
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Daphne & David Price in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Eyden.
* 8:00 Minyan – Barbara & Norman Kupferstein in honor of their son, Yonah's, 30th birthday.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Michal & Duvie Merkin in honor of the hard work and dedication of Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Silver, and the Shul administration on behalf of the 9:15 Minyan.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:10 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on November 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – Beginning Monday, September 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps – will not meet this week.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz – will not meet this week.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Monday or Tuesday.
* Women (class located in the small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women Of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will not meet this week.
* Motzei Shabbos, September 24:Arcola: Shiur 12:50 AM followed by Selichos.
* Sunday, September 25: 6:00 AM (other Minyanim do not have Selichos).
* See the Week Ahead on back for remainder of schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary (Monday – Friday).
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Friday, September 23, at 6:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal program for children, Daveners of all ages are welcome to bring in Shabbos with us. We welcome MEOR who will add some Ruach and explanation during the Davening. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Pamela & Howard Gorin, Miriam Weiss & Avi Roffe, Paloma Bibas & Dr. Leon Roffe, Sara & Rabbi Yaacov Sternman, Adina & Dr. David Warshawsky, Gillian & Asher Weinberg, Akiva Westreich, Mera & Yaacov Yunger
In a Selichos Frame of Mind – Join Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Burnham and Baal Tefilah Marty Jacobs on Motzei Shabbos, September 24, from 11:30 PM to 12:45 AM, in the social hall for this pre-Selichos program. Hear inspirational words, hear the haunting melodies, and partake in community singing (and refreshments) prior to the service. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Sponsors welcome. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Rosh HaShana as a Yom Hazikaron: Does G-d Ever Forget? The Pre-Rosh HaShana BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. Tuesday, September 27, at YISE, 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday Seats – Letters with seat number information were mailed this week. If you did not receive the letter, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and a copy will be sent to you. Please do not call the Shul office. If you did not order seats and wish to reserve them, please complete the form on the Shul web-site and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
* RH and YK Babysitting at YISE is now full.
* RH and YK "Older Kid" Babysitting – A number of parents are organizing babysitting for ages 6-9 during YISE High Holiday services. The babysitting will be at the Shimoff home starting at 10:00 AM until after Musaf. Cost will be $10/day (this program is being done at cost). Please contact email@example.com if interested.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets and a selection of decorations for your Sukkah. Josh has over 40 years of experience and is committed to the best in quality and customer service. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership.
If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 yearolds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, September 24, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM.
From Afar Hashem Appeared To Me… – The YGW Girls Division invites the women of the community to the Annual Pre-Selichos Leil Iyun for Women. This Motzei Shabbos, September 24, 9:00 PM at the YGW Girls Campus. Girls (grades 6 and up) along with alumnae and women from our community join together for an evening of learning featuring Shiurim by our moros and Divrei Torah from our staff and students. For information, www.yeshiva.edu or contact the YGW office 301-962-5111 ext 1500 or email@example.com
A Pre-Rosh Hashanah Community-Wide Sunday Morning Learning Program – Presented by Yeshiva University's Center for the Jewish Future in conjunction with DC Torah. Sunday, September 25 at KMS. Schedule: 9:00 AM Davening with Dvar Torah for High School teens with Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman, Rosh Yeshiva, RIETS, 9:45 AM light refreshments, 10:00 AM Opening remarks by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, Chavruta Learning and keynote Shiur on Doing Teshuvah for Lashon Hara by Rabbi Feldman. Open to men and women. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo in Northern Virginia. – For those who missed the Beacon's 50+Expo in Silver Spring, a repeat performance will take place on Sunday, September 25 from 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM at Springfield Town Center in Springfield, VA. Enjoy more than 50 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), a celebrity speaker, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. For more info or to volunteer, call 301-949-9766.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's First Annual Bike-a-thon – Sunday, September 25, from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM. The 38-mile ride will be along the C&O canal, with a barbecue at the finish line at Carderock. For ages 10 and up. $36 registration fee. To sign up or for more information, visit bikurcholimgw.org or email@example.com
Elul: Days of Preparation – Video presentation for women featuring Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi, presented by Nshei Ohr HaTorah. Sunday, September 25 at 8:15 PM at the SSJC; and Tuesday, September 27 at 8:00 PM at Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Cost $5.
An Evening of Inspiration – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites the community to a Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of the community. Speakers include Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rabbi Mordechai Rhine, Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, and Rabbi Menachem Winter. Monday, September 26, 8:15 PM at the Kollel, 10900 Lockwood Drive.
Get Real: Grappling with the Reality of Rosh Hashana – Mesorah Women's Learning Insitutue presents a Women's Pre- Rosh Hashana Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. NOTE NEW DATE: Tuesday, September 27, 8:00 PM, at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive. Please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman, firstname.lastname@example.org , for details.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Mikvah Hours for Men on Erev Rosh Hashanah:
* Kemp Mill (Wallerstein Mikvah): 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM
* Woodside (Ballard St.): 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Free for full members, adults $20, children/students $10. Bring your own towels. Volunteers needed: contact firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer. We need your donations. Visit mikvahemunah.com for more information.
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with email@example.com
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact Joel Bauman at: 301-704-6830, or JABaumanBuy@gmail.com
Third Annual Women's Succoth Kumzits! Back by popular demand. Wednesday night, October 19 at 8:15 PM. An evening of singing and special Ruach led by Dahlia Topolosky in the Succah of Nancy Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. This event is for women and girls of all ages.
Mayan Hakesef Loan Foundation is a local 501(c)(3) organization founded and active right here in Kemp Mill. Your tax deductible donation will go very far. Sponsor an interest free loan for $2,500 or $5,000. Your donation will be used over and over again for years to come. Nearly all funds have been lent out so your donation will be next in line for use. For questions/inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Kosher Pantry Food Drive – The Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda is launching a pre-holiday food drive to support those in our community who struggle to afford to feed their families, especially during this particularly financially challenging time, as well as throughout the year. Everyone is encouraged to assist the CKP in this cause by dropping off kosher, non-perishable food items in factory sealed containers in the collection box in the YISE lower lobby, helping the dozens of local families who benefit from this service. For more information, please consult the flier and the CKP wish list which are hanging on the bulletin boards. Thank you for your participation in this worthy and necessary endeavor.
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal
The annual Eruv appeal has been mailed. Please watch for it in your mailbox and contribute generously to help ensure the Eruv remains intact and reliable. Please do not send Eruv donations to your shul; instead, please follow the instructions in the mailing. Questions? Contact SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 25 Monday, September 26 Tuesday, September 27 Wednesday, September 28 Thursday, September 29 Friday, September 30
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 7:30 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15
Arcola 6:40 6:40 6:40 6:40 6:40 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:35 6:35 6:35 6:35 6:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:13 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:59 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:30 PM
September 30 – October 1, 2016 – 28 Elul 5776
Light Candles by 6:33 – Havdalah 7:30
* Light Candles by 6:33
Arcola: 6:35 University: 6:35 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:30 University: 6:30 Sephardi: 6:10 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:30
Friday, September 23 Ruach Minyan, YISE Social Hall, 6:45
Motzei Shabbos, Sept. 24 In a Selichos Frame of Mind, 11:30 PM to 12:45 AM
Tuesday, September 27 Rosh HaShana as a Yom Hazikaron: Does G-d Ever Forget? 8:00 PM
Monday, October 10 Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 28 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director