Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 12-13, 2014 – 18 Elul 5774 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:03 – Havdalah 8:00
* Light Candles by 7:03
Arcola: 7:05 University: 7:05
Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 7:00
Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:00
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Youth Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Cortell family in honor of Baruch's Bar Mitzvah
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 615 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Sharon & Jeff Augenbaum and Sharon & Ben Heinrich on the birth of a grandson to their children, Debby & Ari Augenbaum. Mazal Tov also to the great-grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews. The Shalom Zachor will IY"H be at 8:45 PM at 2200 Arcola Avenue. The Bris will IY"H be after the 8:45 Main Minyan.
* Yael & Rabbi Ranon Cortell on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Baruch Ber. Mazal Tov to the grandmothers, Cheryl Epstein and Harriet Cortell, to the great-grandmothers, Suri Rabinovici and Leila Epstein, and to his siblings, Esti, Binyamin, Adina and Dovid.
* Shari & Scott Hillman on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Rivka Rachel. Mazal Tov also to Rivka's siblings and grandparents.
* Martha & Ed Karl and family on the marriage of their son, Yaron, to Robin Winters, daughter of Gilda & Harold Winters of Bergenfield, NJ.
* Charlotte Weill and the entire Weill family on the marriage of her granddaughter, Pessy Weill, to Avraham Kalikstein.
* Delia & George Weiss on the birth of a grandson, Rafael Dean. born to Liora Greenberg & Danny Weiss of State College, PA. Mazal Tov also to big brother Judah Lev, Aunt Miriam & Uncle Steve Friedman and cousins, Matan, Edan and Merav.
* Florence Binstock on the passing of her husband, Dr. Joel Avigan. The funeral took place on Sunday with burial in Israel. Shiva will be observed at 816 Kersey Road through Sunday, Shacharis at 8:00.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on September 16 with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Halachos of Building a Sukkah." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
What do we Know about Tekhelet – The rare blue dye the Torah speaks of for Tzitzit and the clothes of the Kohen Gadol? Hear Rabbi Dr. Barry Freundel speak about the Halachic, historical and scientific aspects of Tekhelet, see a live dyeing demonstration, and join in a Q&A via Skype from Israel with Dr. Baruch Sterman, co-founder of the Ptil Tekhelet Foundation. Sunday, September 14, 7:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Salads and desserts served. Free and open to all. Sponsored by the Rosenthal family in memory of Arlene & Leonard Rosenthal, Z"L.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, September 21 at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road. The topic will be "Food Preparation over a Three Day Yom Tov."
High Holiday Preparations:
* Letters with High Holiday seat information were mailed on Friday. Please allow two days for delivery. If you have not received your letter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not reserved your seat, please use the form at www.yise.org/seats
* As in past years, we anticipate a wonderful night of celebration on Simchat Torah. Please consider making a donation of $18, $36, or more to the YISE Simchat Torah Evening Celebration and food festivities. We would greatly appreciate your help in making this a night to remember! Please send your checks to the Shul office or pay on the Shul website with the notation "Youth Simchat Torah." Contact email@example.com for more information.
* Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur babysitting is completely full.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – As a fundraiser for the shul, YISE will sell Lulavim and Esrogim through Elli Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the Shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 29.
YISE Membership Drive -The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you ready for some Ruach?! Join us in the Main Social Hall for a spirited Davening Friday, September 19. Though there is no special kids' program, all Daveners are warmly invited to bring in Shabbos with us. For more information, contact Adam Bashein at email@example.com
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice of classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Rabbi Menachem Winter – Chocolate-Covered Orange Peels
* Parsha Discourses – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Parshas Nizavim-Va'Yelech: The Torah Is Not In Heaven
* Unraveling the Navi – Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz – Crossing the Jordan
* Before We Begin – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem – Defining the Ikarim
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah. This week we will be discussing "Tefillah in Preparation for Rosh Hashana."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow. Shiurim options:
* Developing Your "Gemara Kop," Thinking through Maseches Sukkah – R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem (Based on the Alei Shur by R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha on Chodesh Elul – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics – R' Moshe Chaim Blate
Join us for the open Beis Medrash or we can help you set up a Chavrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, this Wednesday at 7:50 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
BCGW Pre-Rosh Hashanah Boutique – Sunday, September 14, at the home of the Fine Family, 607 Stonington Road. 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring: hats, jewelry, serving accessories, shells and skirts, and Stevie from the Pampered Chef. Bakery items for sale and you can pre-order items at sunflowerbakery.org. Deadline to order is September 10. For more information please contact Rhonda Lehman at email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 17, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Essence of the Shofar – The Golden Network presents Rabbi Barry Greengart, Thursday, September 18, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00 AM. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium – The GWCK invites all men and women to a Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. Including: Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rabbi Yosef Singer, and Rabbi Mordechai Rhine. Monday, September 22, 8:00 PM at the Kollel, 10900 Lockwood Dr.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp-Mill-based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation supplements its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at www.tomcheishabbosgw.com
* The Franco Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with firstname.lastname@example.org
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or ATrombka@verizon.net
The Mikvah Emunah Society is looking for volunteers to collect money and ensure decorum on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. We are looking for men to volunteer between 30 minutes to 1 hour, between 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Interested people should contact Craig Simon at email@example.com
Students at Yeshiva of Greater Washington are available to help build your sukka. Place your request early with Rabbi Hes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-649-7077, ext. 1528
Job Assist Events:
* Career Gateway for 50+ Job Seekers – 5-part series begins September 15. Rockville. Info and register at www.accessjca.org
* Project Management for Beginners – 4-part series begins September 22 Online. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* Job Readiness Workshops – Montgomery Works offers courses on resumes, interviewing, federal jobs, and more. Wheaton. Info and register at montgomeryworks.org/workshops_training.asp
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 14 Monday, September 15 Tuesday, September 16 Wednesday, September 17 Thursday, September 18 Friday, September 19
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:02 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:55 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:35 PM
September 19-20, 2014 – 25 Elul 5774
Light Candles by 6:52 – Havdalah 7:49
* Light Candles by 6:52
* Mincha: 6:55 – Everywhere including Ruach in Social Hall
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 University: 6:50
Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:49
Shabbos, September 13 Bar Mitzvah of Baruch Cortell
Tuesday, September 16 Elzee's and Handcrafted Jewelry & Gifts, 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, September 17 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall, Speaker: Melody Alsheikhly, "How to Prevent a Fall"
Friday, September 19 Ruach Minyan, 6:55, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, October 1 Annual Communal Rabbi Frand Teshuva Drasha at YISE, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 17 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director