Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 12-13, 2016 – 9 Av 5776 – Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 7:48 (and not before 6:40) – Shabbos Ends 8:48
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dova, Jack, Michal, and Talia Boyars in honor of their parents and grandparents.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Avigail, to Avital & Yitzhok Chajbi of Beit Shemesh. Grandparents are Yocheved (Joy) & Motti Barzel and Elena & Moshe Chajbi, all of Jerusalem.
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger on the birth of a grandson to Brittney & Joe Schlesinger of Rochester, NY. Mazal Tov to Aunt Sarah, Uncle Yitzie and the Sandberg cousins, Avigail, Tzvi, and Elana.
* Karen & Howie Schulman on the birth of a granddaughter, Raizel, born to Miri & Rabbi Danny Kramer. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Marcia & Sheldon Meth and great-grandmother Florence Binstock Avigan, and to all of Raizel's siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Talya & Dave Weinberg on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to big brothers, Azi and Rafi, the grandparents, Judy & Jeff Graber and Sheila Weinberg, great-grandmother Rose Berlin and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 11232 Watermill Lane at 9:15 PM.
Those who plan to attend Maariv in Shul on Motzei Shabbos are reminded to bring their non-leather shoes to Shul on Friday afternoon.
* Light Candles by 7:48, and not before 6:40
Arcola: 6:25, 6:50, 7:50 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv: 8:48 (Fast begins at 8:05)
Since we do not make Havdalah on Motzei Shabbos, those who don't Daven Maariv are reminded to make sure to say "Baruch Hamavdil Bain Kodesh Lechol" once Shabbos is over.
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Shabbos, August 13 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:05 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard and University) 8:48 PM
* Maariv (Sephardi) 9:05 PM
* Eicha (All locations above) 9:10 PM Sunday, August 14 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Sephardi Shiurim
* Rabbi Moshe Chayim Blate 10:30 AM
* Rabbi Levy 11:15 AM
* Chatzos 1:13 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Video Programs (Arcola Social Hall):
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation #1 2:45 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation for Youth 2:45 PM
* Project Inspire 4:40 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation #2 5:45 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:25 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 7:35 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:20 PM
* Fast Ends 8:47 PM
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Luna & Avi Perez, Tobi & Avi Rothschild, Esti & Moshe Zwany
President's Vacation – Michael Shimoff will be on vacation from Tuesday, August 16 through Tuesday, August 30 and will have limited connectivity. During this time, questions can be addressed to Sammy Franco (Vice President 1) at email@example.com
Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos – Since Mother's Day was too close to Pesach this year, it will be held on Shabbos, August 20, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Speaker: Eva Kalusin Topic: "How Mom Survived the Holocaust in Poland and Communism in Cuba" Sponsors and set-up/clean-up volunteers should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. The committee will begin assigning seats next week. Please use the forms that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information. We appreciate your cooperation in submitting your request as soon as possible.
* YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Only 20 spots available each day. For more info, contact email@example.com
High Holiday Edition of HaShomer:
* Call for Articles – Improving and enhancing the content of our Hashomer makes it more valuable for our members and attractive for our advertisers. We have a rich and broad resource of knowledge in our community and you are invited to share your unique knowledge, expertise and talents. Articles should be short (500 words or less) and of general interest to our membership. Articles are subject to approval and editing as is deemed appropriate. Submit articles to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 22.
* Ads are being accepted for the High Holiday edition of HaShomer, which will include Halachos and other content as in previous editions as well as additional articles of general interest. Contact email@example.com or the YISE office.
Yizkor Guide – YISE is publishing a new Yizkor Guide, which will contain the Psalms, Yizkor passages and K'ail Malei Rachamim in the order said in our Shul. Sponsorships are available at $180 per family for an unlimited number of names, or $18 for each individual name. More details and forms available online at www.yise.org/yizkor This year's deadline is September 3. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week, and will resume at the end of the summer.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, pleasecontact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will resume in September.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall – program will resume September 6.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University – will resume September 7.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in the small Social Hall – program will resume in September.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. August 15 – 25, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 11:30 AM lunch, 12:00 Noon activity, 1:00 PM swimming, 2:30 PM pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $50 per week per student, $75 for full program – Trips cost extra. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 17, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Tips for a Successful Elul and Rosh Hashana – Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Tuesday, August 30 and Tuesday, September 6 at 1:30 PM – 2:15PM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash. We will resume at the JCC on September 13. Men and women are welcome.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you need to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 14 – Tisha B'Av Monday, August 15 Tuesday, August 16 Wednesday, August 17 Thursday, August 18 Friday, August 19
Arcola 6:30, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 2:00, 7:25 / 8:20 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 See Shabbos
Sephardi 7:35 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 schedule
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:31 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
August 19-20, 2016 – 16 Av 5776
Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:38 – Havdalah 8:38
* Light Candles by 7:38, and not before 6:32
Arcola: 6:15, 6:40, 7:40 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 University: 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdala1h: 8:38p
Wednesday, August 17 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Dr. Alan Breitler, Professor, Computer Science, UMUC "Life and Theories of Albert Einstein" (Part 1 of 2; 2nd lecture on September 21)
Shabbos, August 20 Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 17 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director