Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 24-25, 2015 – 9 Av 5775 – Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:09 (and not before 6:57) – Havdalah 9:13
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* REMINDER: BRING YOUR SHOES TO SHUL ON FRIDAY
* Light Candles by 8:09, and not before 6:57
Arcola: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv: 9:13
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Aviad & Maryel Madar in honor of their wedding last month in Israel and by Kheder Shukur in memory of his uncle, Avraham Ben Aziza.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Bonnie & Ira Evans on the birth of a grandson to their children Ariella & Will Evans of New York. Mazal Tov to the siblings, Ayelet, Yael, Shaya and Shlomo. Mazal Tov to aunt and uncle Sara & Gabe Evans and cousins Yonah, Meira and Ariel, and to aunt Amy.
* Shaine Spolter on the birth of two great-grandchildren; a greatgrandson to Penina & Yossie Berkowitz; and a great-grandaughter, Bat Sheva, to Michal & Simcha Raczkowski.
* Charlotte Weill and family on the birth of two great-grandchildren; a great-grandaughter to Shalom & Elana Rosenberg, children of Menachem & Malky Weill; and a great-grandson to Pessy & Dr. Avraham Kalikstein, children of Leah & Bezalel Weill.
* Gilbert Chlewicki on the passing of his father, Meir Chlewicki. The funeral took place on Thursday in Baltimore. Shiva will be observed at 11602 Monticello Avenue through Wednesday morning. Minyan schedule is as follows: Sunday (Tisha B'Av): Mincha 2:00, Maariv 8:45. Shacharis – Monday: 6:45, Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv – Monday, Tuesday: 8:10. No Shacharis on Sunday.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Shabbos, July 25 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:26 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard and University) 9:13 PM
* Maariv (Sephardi) 9:30 PM
* Eicha (All locations above plus Youth Social Hall) 9:35 PM
Sunday, July 26 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Sephardi Shiurim
* The Destruction of the Beit Hamikdash – Why Care ? with Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate 9:30 AM
* Gemara Masechet Gitin on Churban Bayit Sheni with Rabbi Levy 10:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:15 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Video #1 Arcola Social Hall 2:45 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Youth Video Arcola Small Social Hall 2:45 PM
Sponsored by the Mond Family L"N Yehuda Aryeh Ben Yehoshua Yakir.
* Project Inspire Video Arcola Social Hall 4:40 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Video #2 Arcola Social Hall 5:45 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:50 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 8:00 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:45 PM
* Fast Ends 9:12 PM
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Esti & Moshe Kaplan
Going Deep – The Meaning of the Amidah – Series of Monday night Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women. Meets through July 27 from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. in the small Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project (Mincha and Maariv are part of the class). New attendees welcome. Previous Shiurim can be downloaded at www.yise.org
Sefer Daniel: Template for Exile, Vision of Redemption – Six-part summer series for women given by Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum, meets on Tuesdays, through July 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
Camp Shomrai 2015 Community Carnival – Bring your family and friends. Join us for an evening of watery fun, food and entertainment. Monday, July 27, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. 813 University Blvd W. $5 Per Child under 10. For sale hot dogs, chips and drinks. Moonbounce, dunk tank, giant water slide (bring your bathing suit!), cotton candy, popsicles, bubble activities, carnival games and prizes. Cover charge includes all activities except hot dogs, chips and drinks. Open to the whole community!
YISE Dedication Oppurtunities – Please take a moment to check out the YISE website www.yise.org to see exciting new naming opportunities available. Leaves, bricks, business card ads, dedications are just some of the newly added content. Keep checking back as much more is planned in the very near future to enhance your experience at YISE.
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, August 3.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, July 30 through Sunday, August 9. People with Halachic questions should feel free to call Rabbi Silver at 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum about a pressing matter should contact a member of the office staff, who will alert Rabbi Rosenbaum.
High Holiday Seat Planning – Seat forms and information were mailed to all members. The seating forms and information are also available on the Shul web site. The form can be completed on-line. It can then be mailed or dropped off with payment at the Shul or via e-mail, or call the Shul bookkeeper with credit card numbers.
Take Me Out to the Ballgame – Join the YISE Social Committee to see the Washington Nationals take on the Colorado Rockies, Sunday, August 9. Game Time: 1:35 PM. Limited tickets available: $10/each. To RSVP and purchase tickets contact email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Rosh Chodesh Elul Shabbaton: "L'shana Shel Kavanah" – Shabbos, August 14 and 15. Inspirational Davening and Drashot; spiritual Shalosh Seudos (by reservation; $8/person); community Kumsitz / Melava Malkah (free and open to all). Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. To sponsor or volunteer, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-980-9557. To RSVP for Shalosh Seudos, send check payable to YISE to shul office.
Does the Keilim Mikvah being built by the Shul make you more curious about its Halachos? You can hear a series of 5 minute Shiurim from Rabbi Rosenbaum at audio.yise.org Rabbi Rosenbaum hopes to have Shiurim relating to the building of a Keilim Mikvah and Halachos of its use available over the coming weeks.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Haimish Kiddush Group is looking for new members for Fiscal Year 2016. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on August 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony- will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on August 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah – will resume on August 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the Magendzo home, 11617 Yeatman Terrace. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00AM – 10:45 AM – Program is on break and will resume on August 16.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – Program is on summer break andwill resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – Shiur is on summer break and will resume in August.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM in the small Social Hall – will resume on August 20.
Dedicate a Brick, and Help Build a Keilim Mikvah
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Cheryl Stern Community
Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible.
For more details visit: http://wp.yise.org/dedicate-a-brick/
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week. The Minyan will resume on Shabbos Parshas Shoftim, August 22.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
The Woodside Ballard Street Outdoor Keilim Mikvah, at 8901 Georgia Avenue (corner Ballard), under the Mikvah Emunah Society, is now operational.
Jealousy, Hatred, and the Vilna Goan – Rabbi Reingold will be giving a women's Tisha B'Av Shiur this Shabbos, July 25 at Meera & Stephan Miller's house, 1015 Arcola Ave., from 6:00 PM – 6:40 PM.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW – Tiferes Gedaliah – July 27 – August 13, 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM, Daily – Davening, learning, and activities. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Located at the YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $25 per week per student. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1522
The Yom Kippur Avodah and Us – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to present Mrs. Rochie Reingold with a text based shiur. Tuesday and Wednesday, July 28 and 29, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM at YISE. Tuition $18. Childcare $5 per child. Reservations for childcare are required. For more information or to register contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347. For women only.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 29, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* How to Design a Powerful Resume – Free. Online. Tuesday, July 28, 7:00 PM. Info and register at www.chameleonresumes.com
Recent Donations to YISE
To make a donation to YISE, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Adele & George Berlin in honor of the birth of Gloria & Arnold Sherman's grandchild.
* Lois & Ray Bernzweig in honor of Debi & Max Rudmann.
* Regina & Kenny Berthold
* Fran & Alan Broder in memory of Julius Creeger, Z"L, and Ellen Singer's mother, Sonia Greenspan, Z"L.
* Sarah & Baruch Dollman
* Joan, Lois & Eliezer Entel
* Joey Franco in memory of Doris Lemberger, Z"L, Jeffrey Graber's father, Samuel Graber, Z"L, and Gilbert Chlewicki's father Meir Chlewicki, Z"L.
* Greta & Stanley Glick
* Helene & Gary Goodman
* Rosalie & Stanley Handwerger in memory of Rabbi Ira Brandriss' mother, Perla, Z"L and in memory of Rose Elbaum's mother, Selma Blitzstein, Z"L.
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in memory of Bruce James' brother, Arthur James, Jr.
* Leah Israel in memory of Shmuel Tolchinsky's mother, Shirley Tolchinsky, Z"L, and in memory of Cathy Silberman's mother.
* Sandra & Israel Kivelevitz in honor of Meir Koretsky's Bar Mitzvah.
* Judy & Sheldon Klein in honor of the 40th anniversary of Aharon Goodman's Bar Mitzvah.
* Rona & Aaron Lerner in memory of Shmuel Tolchinsky's mother, Shirley Tolchinsky, Z"L.
* Angie & Robert Liberman
* Nancy Perez in honor of the birth of Ayelet to Rivky & Oren Perez, and in memory of Ilana Branda's grandfather, Alfred Menaker, Z"L.
* Carol & Lionel Rabin in honor of the Refuah Shlema of Jacob Edeson.
* Nechama & Joseph Scharf
* Sarah Ahuva Shalom
* Tania & Nachum Shedlo
* Marina & Gregory Shmunis in memory of Shmuel Tolchinsky's mother, Shirley Tolchinsky, Z"L.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 26 – Tisha B'Av Monday, July 27 Tuesday, July 28 Wednesday, July 29 Thursday, July 30 Friday, July 31
Arcola 6:30, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 2:00, 7:50 / 8:45 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:09 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:38 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 31- August 1, 2015 – 16 Av 5775
Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:02 – Havdalah 9:05
* Light Candles by 8:02, and not before 6:52
Arcola: 6:35, 7:05, 8:05 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 University: 8:00 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:05
Monday, July 27 Camp Shomrai 2015 Community Carnival
Sunday, August 9 Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Shabbos, August 14-15 Rosh Chodesh Elul Shabbaton: "L'shana Shel Kavanah."
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 29 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: Modified office hours for next week.
Monday through Thursday 12:00 Noon – 5:00 PM, Friday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director