Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 6-7, 2015 – 25 Cheshvan 5776 – Parshas Chayei Sarah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:44 – Havdalah 5:43
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner in memory of Arleeta's father, Samuel Axelrod (Shmuel ben Dovid) on the occasion of his 7th Yahrzeit.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the Bris of their great-grandson, Yehuda Aryeh Schwartz, son of Malki & Moishy Schwartz of Lakewood, NJ.
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter in Yerushalayim to their grandchildren Sara Tova & Akiva Miller. Mazal Tov to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller, Ruth & Mordechai Snider and great-great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber, all of Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 4:44
Arcola: 4:45, Ruach University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:43
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Menucha & Noach Wolfe and family in honor of their baby girl, Keira.
* Sephardi Minyan – Popi
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume in the Spring.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Hannah & Paul Berner, 10801 Cavalier Drive. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This week, Friday, November 6, at 4:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. Starting after L'cha Dodi there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
Starting this Week: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, November 7, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Ben Yehudah Pizza. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Curious about the Keilim Mikvah – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a class on Monday, November 9 at 8:00 PM to review the Halachos of its proper use.
Addiction: How do you recognize it and where do you find help in our community? Learn from a panel of treatment professionals, an Al-Anon member, and someone who faced a family member's addiction. Opening remarks by YISE Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Cosponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, all of the synagogues in Kemp Mill, and several other Jewish organizations and schools. Sunday, November 8, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Service Day at A Wider Circle (Distribution Center) – Sunday, November 15, 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM or 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. Limited to 15 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman email@example.com. Where: 9159 Brookville Road. Phone: (301) 608-3504. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
New Class Starting Soon: The Meaning of Hallel – Three Monday-night sessions with Rabbi Rosenbaum, going in depth into Hallel. Classes will be on November 16, 23 and 30 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM, in the YISE small Social Hall. Free; open to men and women. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Shomrai Nursery PTA Ladies Night Out – Join us for an evening of good food, friends, and inspiration! Kosher Pastry Oven. Hors d'oeuvres, desserts, and sangria! With words of wisdom on The Modern Jewish Woman by Yiscah Baldinger, MSW. Wednesday, November 18. 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM. $18 at the door.
Shabbos Dinner & Oneg with Scholar-in-Residence Rabbi Meir Goldwicht – Friday, November 20. $18/adult, $10/child (3-15), $72 family max. Reserve at www.yise.org/dinner or send check to YISE Office with memo "Scholar Dinner." Deadline November 16. Individuals in the community have expressed interest that all should feel comfortable attending and should not be inhibited by cost. Therefore, all are welcome to RSVP and pay what they can afford. Note that reservations are still REQUIRED. To volunteer to help (community service provided to teens) contact Barbara Price at email@example.com or 301-332-8181.
YISE Paintball! YISE is having paintball outing to Rt. 40 Paintball on Sunday, November 22 at 1:30 PM for men 13 and over. Cost is $30 per person. Reservations required by Thursday, November 19. For more information and reservations, please contact Yitz Sandberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Our weekday Minyanim are reciting Psalms 121 and 130. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can also recite 20, 83, and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the World, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Motzei Shabbos, November 14 at 7:30 PM. SOLD OUT!!!
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of former member Werner Katzenstein.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Steering Someone Wrong: Bein Adam L'Chavero or Bein Adam L'Makom? – Veterans Day, Wednesday, November 11. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Avi Haber, member of the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM. At the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
From Darkness to Light: Black Holes as a Window on Creation – Ma rabu Ma'asecha … Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. Second lecture in the science series, with Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, Astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking lecture. Sunday, November 15 at 12:30 PM. YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Chinese Auction / Art Auction – You are invited to a special night out at the Hilton Rockville Pike, on Sunday evening, November 15. An Art Auction and Mini-Chinese Auction hosted by the Berman Hebrew Academy. The preview and light fare café begins at 6:30 PM. The auction begins at 7:30 PM.
The Matchmaker – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy, Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 8:00 PM and Sunday, November 22, 2:00 PM. Tickets: Students/seniors $5.00, Adults $7.00. For more information: contact Eliana Elikan at email@example.com or Uri Farber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Jobs for Military Spouses – Free webinar, Friday, November 13, 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM. Info and register at www.resume-place.com/training
* Pet Peeves of Former Recruiters – Free webinar, Wednesday, November 18, 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM. Replay available for 3 days. Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820 or go to www.seniorconnectionmc.org
Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington – Yad Yehuda (formerly Yehuda Mond Foundation) provides assistance to over 200 individuals in the region and assists several dozen more families through the Capital Kosher Pantry. Go to http://www.tomcheishabbosgw.org and http://www.capitalkosherpantry.org for more information. If you need assistance or know someone who could use Tomchei Shabbos, please call Rabbi Moshe Arzouan at 301-905-2937. For the Food Gemach, please call Shonny Leiman at 240-274-7652.
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 8 Monday, November 9 Tuesday, November 10 Wednesday, November 11 Thursday, Nov. 12 – Rosh Chodesh Friday, Nov. 13 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:45, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:55 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:17 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM
November 13-14, 2015 – 2 Kislev 5776
Light Candles by 4:37 – Havdalah 5:37
* Light Candles by 4:37
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:37
Friday, November 6 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 7 First Dor L'Dor of the Season, 6:45 PM
Sunday, November 8 Addiction Panel, 10:30 AM
Monday, November 9 Keilim Mikvah Class, 8:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 14 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Wednesday, November 18 Shomrai Nursery PTA Ladies Night Out
Shabbos, November 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
Sunday, November 22 YISE Paintball Outing
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 11 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director