Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 15-16, 2016 – 6 Shevat 5776 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 4:51 – Havdalah 5:54
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lois & Sid Meyers on the Yahrzeit of Lois's father, Dr. Carl H. Resnick (Yekusiel Ben Harav Tsvi).
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer upon the marriage of her grandson Chaim Kahana to Ruchami Levovitz of Lakewood.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her grandson Eli Kahana to Beracha Esther Gifter of Lakewood.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Shimmy, son of Leah & Avi Greengart of Teaneck.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, N'umi, daughter of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of South Fallsburg, NY.
* Rebbetzin Rachie Reingold on the passing of her mother, Miriam Rosen. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Baltimore. Shiva will be observed at 3503 W. Strathmore Ave., through Monday morning.
* Light Candles by 4:51
Arcola: 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:50 University: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:54
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume January 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume January 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume January 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua – will resume January 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume January 27.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will not meet this week.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah – The Kelim Mikvah next to YISE is now open for use. Instructions are posted at the Mikvah.
THIS WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 16, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is on vacation through Sunday, January 24. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363- 5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, January 18, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Halachos of Mezuzah. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Classes on how to lead Davening for Shabbos and Yom Tov continue on Monday, January 18, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM with Rabbi Ozzie Burnham in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary (note new location). The class this Monday night will focus on the Shabbos Shacharis Amidah and Musaf. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
TGN Program: Would you Like to Improve the Accuracy and Fluency of your Prayers? Join an eight-part series with Mrs. Esther Dziadek to enhance your Hebrew reading skills. Starting Wednesday, January 20, 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM at YISE. For more information contact Mrs. Esther Dziadek 301-649-1463 email@example.com or Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting with the Wheaton US Post Office – Due to numerous postal issues across the community, representatives and leadership from the Wheaton Post Office will be meeting with the community at YISE, Wednesday, January 20, 6:45 PM in the Large Social Hall. Seating starts at 6:45 PM, program starts at 7:00 PM sharp. For any questions, please contact Michael Shimoff email@example.com
TSGW/YISE Winter Break Fun! Come bounce with us and raise money for YISE Shomrai Nursery at Pump It UP Silver Spring, 12210 Plum Orchard Drive. Thursday, January 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM. $8 per child. Call ahead to reserve your space: 301-572-5867. Siblings and friends welcome!
Reconciling the Joy of Serving Hashem with Reverence – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, January 31, at 8:00 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
SAVE THE DATE: Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos – Shabbos, February 5-6. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the Greater Washington Community Kollel. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer, Simcha Leiner. Elegant catered Friday Night family dinner (Adult: $22, Children (3-7): $12,Children under 3: free) with free babysitting during the dinner available. To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or firstname.lastname@example.org Sponsorship opportunities available.
Back by Popular Demand: YISE Social Committee Presents: Trivia Night – General knowledge trivia questions. Motzei Shabbos, February 6. Doors open at 7:45 PM, Games begin at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Cost: $3 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Social@yise.org
Help make a Minyan! For the past 2+ years volunteers have been successfully helping University make a Minyan as needed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, due to people moving away, etc., we are again looking for additional volunteers to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Shabbos Minyan. The expectation is that you can be called upon four times a year. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? For high school students. Sunday, February 7, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Kashrus Alert – Some Jaffa – Mehadrin Growers mandarins which state ‘Heter Mechira' on the box bears an unauthorized OU symbol.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
A Time to Heal: the Doctor's Dispensation for Shabbos – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men. MLK Day, January 18, with Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate, Kollel Zichron Amram. Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Light refreshments will be served. ChavrusaLearning 9:00 AM; Shiur 9:45 AM at the YGW Boys Campus,. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 20, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Perspectives on the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim Strengthening the Sick and the Wounded and Strengthening the Jewish People – In commemoration of the 15th yahrzeit of Deborah Lerner Gross, A"H, the Greater Washington Community is invited to an evening with Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau, Chief Rabbi of Tel Aviv-Yaffo, former Chief Rabbi of the State of Israel and Chairman of Yad Vashem Council. Tuesday, January 26 at 7:30 PM at KMS.
Peter Pan – YGW- Tiferes Gedaliah – Girls Division presents a production for women and girls ONLY. Sunday, February 7 at 5:30 PM and Monday, February 8 at 7:30 PM at the JCC of Greater Washington. Tickets available in advance and at the door. Sponsorships and Playbill advertising deadline February 1. For more information, to purchase tickets, or to place ads: www.yeshiva.edu, 301-962-5111 x1407 or email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, February 28 at its Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men. For more information: Contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Free workshops – (1) 10 Steps to a Federal Job. Tuesday, January 19, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. For information, call 410-290-2600. (2) Résumé Writing. Friday, January 22, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For information, call 410-290-2607. Both classes at Professional Outplacement Assistance Center, 7161 Columbia Gateway Drive, Columbia.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 17 Monday, Jan. 18 – MLK Jr. Day Tuesday, January 19 Wednesday, January 20 Thursday, January 21 Friday, January 22
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 5:00 5:00, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:00, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:00, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:00, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55 4:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:29 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
January 22-23, 2016 – 13 Shevat 5776
Light Candles by 4:59 – Havdalah 6:01
* Light Candles by 4:59
Arcola: 5:00 University: 5:00 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:55 University: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:01
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 16 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, January 20 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Dr. Gilda Haber – "Wedding in Jerusalem"
Wednesday, January 20 Post Office Meeting, Social Hall, 6:45 PM
Monday, January 25 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 30 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:15 PM
Shabbos, February 5-6 Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 6 YISE Social Committee Trivia Night
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 20 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 12:00 PM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
NOTE: Shortened hours due to limited staff.
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director