Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 3-4, 2017 – 8 Shevat 5777 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 5:13 – Havdalah 6:15
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
Welcome and thanks to the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Simcha Leiner for an Inspirational Shabbos. See attached page for full schedule.
* Nechama & Ted Goodman on the birth of a granddaugther, Shifra Leah, to Rachel & Yoni Sagal. Mazal Tov to grandparents Gaby & Jeffrey Sagal and siblings Moshe Dovid and Avigayil. Mazal tov to the Goodman, Stark, Sagal and Buchsbaum families.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the birth of a granddaughter, to Batya & Chaim Preiser of Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 5:13
Arcola: 5:15 University: 5:15 Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
The Friday night Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary will be a special Ruach Minyan led by Simcha Leiner. There will be another Minyan in the Social Hall beginning at the same time.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:15
* Youth Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Udi & Hila Madar in honor of their new baby boy.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – Anonymous Sponsor in honor of the GWCK and the Inspirational Shabbos.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka’s Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher’s Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will resume on February 20.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding our Good Fortune – Get each day off to a better start by attending a class on the meaning of Ashrei and a general perspective and Halachic review of Pesukei Dezimrah. Join Rabbi Rosenbaum for the third session, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM, Tuesday, February 7 in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
NEXT WEEKEND: Shabbos, February 10-11: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – Former "Prisoner for Zion." Author, Unbroken Spirit: A Heroic Story Of Faith, Courage and Survival.
* Friday Evening, 8:30 PM, light refreshments: Confessions of a Jewish Hijacker
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Keeping Shabbos and Mitzvos Against All Odds – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Tasting and Embracing Freedom: From Prisoner for Zion to Citizen of Zion
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L’Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 11, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Escape your Personal Prison – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich, our Scholar -in-Residence over Shabbos February 10-11, will also speak Sunday morning, February 12 at 10:30 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. He will speak about how we can use Tefilah to overcome our spiritual roadblocks. Part of the Meaningful Tefilah project. To sponsor, contact email@example.com
YISE Paint Nite – Presented by the YISE Social Committee with Talya Weinberg. Motzei Shabbos, February 18. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting begins at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
Make the Most of Your Doctor’s Appointment – A medical panel coaches you in how to plan for your visit, discuss sensitive topics, and ask the right questions about tests, medications, and results. Drs. Theo Heller, David Taragin, and Daniel Schwartz. Sunday, February 19, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Beis Medrash. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, SSJC, and Ohr Hatorah.
Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L – The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to a gathering to mark the first Yahrzeit of its long-time President. Sunday, February 19, 8:00 PM at YISE. Speakers will be Rabbi Yehoshua Wender, Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi Sheftel Neuberger, and Rabbi Menachem Winter.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Women of all ages are invited to join us for our third annual event, Sunday, February 19, 2017 from 5:45 PM – 7:15 PM. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B’Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 4, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 1501, at 3:00 PM.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Toastmasters’ Meeting – Wednesday, February 8, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal/Civilian Jobs – Four free webinars with Corliss Jackson on Monday, February 6, starting at 7:00 PM. For details and to register, please visit www.federaljobresults.com
* Learn How to Get Hired – Free webinars by Peggy McKee on Tuesday, February 7, 1:00 PM, and Wednesday, February 8, 1:00 PM. For details on these webinars, for info on other webinars, and to register, please visit http://careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
GWCK Men’s VIP Trip to Lakewood – An amazing day of learning and inspiration! Sunday, February 12. Learn together with hundreds of Kollel Scholars, hear words of inspiration from the Rosh Hayeshiva, enjoy a private lunch with Rabbi Aaron Kotler, President of BMG Yeshiva, and much more! Trip cost: $85. Includes transportation, breakfast, lunch, and an elegant dinner. Reservations required. Spaces limited. To RSVP or for more information contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at (513) 313-4899; email@example.com
Mikvah Emunah Society Annual Dinner – Honoring Dr. Caroline Namrow and Rabbi Jacob I. Halpern, Community Service Award. Wednesday, February 15, at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Buffet dinner begins at 6:30 PM. To RSVP or to place an ad in the commemorative journal please visit www.mikvahemunah.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 5 Monday, February 6 Tuesday, February 7 Wednesday, February 8 Thursday, February 9 Friday, February 10
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:20 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:17 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 10-11, 2017 – 15 Shevat 5777
Parshas Beshalach – Shabbos Shirah
Light Candles by 5:22 – Havdalah 6:22
* Light Candles by 5:22
Arcola: 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:22
Shabbos, February 3-4 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Monday, February 6 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
Tuesday, February 7 YISE Board of Directors meeting, 8:00 PM
Shabbos, February 10-11 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 11 Dor L’Dor, 7:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
Monday, February 13 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Shabbos, February 18 Bar Mitzvah of Meir Saul Katz
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 18 YISE Paint Nite, YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 8 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager