Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 9-10, 2015 – 27 Tishrei 5776 – Parshas Bereshis – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:20 – Havdalah 7:17
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser in memory of her mother Rivka Tzivyah bas Pinchus.
* Light Candles by 6:20
Arcola: 6:20 University: 6:20 Sephardi: 6:15 Nusach Sefard: 6:20
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:15 University: 6:15 Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:17
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* The Engel and Baldinger families on the engagement of their children Alix and Josh.The community is invited to a Vort in honor of Alix and Josh on Sunday, October 11, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM at the Yeshiva of Greater Washington Boys Campus.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a granddaughter, Aliza, to their children Niema & David Schertz of Harrisburg, and to great-grandmother Esther Becker and siblings Moshe and Avraham.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a grandson, Chaim, born to Shira & Doni Berliant. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Catalina Kirshenbaum and the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Lynn Deutsch on the passing of her father, Allan Herkowitz. Burial and Shiva took place in Albany before Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will resume on October 21.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Esrogim after Sukkos – Those using Esrogim from Israel this Sukkos should treat them with the sanctity of Shemittah. They may not be discarded after Sukkos, rather they must be held until they have completely dried up. There is a drop-off box in the lower lobby in which people may leave their Esrogim to be taken care of appropriately by the Shul.
Thanks to the volunteers who erected the Shul's Sukkah: Ari Avidar, Art Boyars, Stuart Cohen, Ben Kalish, Avi Kotek, Bella Kotek, Isaac Kotek, Maya Kotek, Eli Landy, Josh Obstfeld, Geoff Rosenbloom, Yitzie Sandberg, Elana Sandberg, Tzvi Sandberg, Yehuda Strauss.
NEXT WEEK: Shabbos, October 17: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yona Reiss: Av Beth Din, Chicago Rabbinical Council;
Rosh Yeshiva and Former Dean, RIETS, Yeshiva University;
Former Director, Beth Din of America.
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): The Kesubah, the Tenaim and Pre-Nuptial Agreements – What Do We Do and How Much Is It All Worth? – Kiddush follows.
* Before Mincha (5:00): Contemporary Case Studies in Beth Din
* Between Mincha / Maariv: Camels, Cows and Cholov Yisroel
Tech Cafe – Free! Tech-training for older adults provided by community teens! Learn about your iPhone/iPad, email, Facebook, taking and sending photos, how to video chat or store music… or whatever YOU are interested in! Sunday, October 18, 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM at YISE. Space is limited! Register early.
* Adults: Bring your charged device… & we'll give you free advice! To RSVP call 301-754-1517, or visit: http://www.yise.org/techcafe
* Teens: Pizza and training starts at 12 noon. Earn Community Service hours by sharing what you know! Sign up today at: http://www.yise.org/techcafe
* Questions: contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Going Deep: The Meaning of the Shema – Three Monday night Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women will meet October 19, October 26 and November 2 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM in the large Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more informattion, contact email@example.com
Simply Tsfat Concert – Motzei Shabbos, October 31, 8:00 PM at YISE. General Admission Tickets $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Family Ticket Package $35 each. Sponsorship $100 – includes two tickets. Light Refreshments. For more information or to RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 ext. 401 or 403 or register online www.yise.org/concert
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Haimish Kiddush Group is looking for new members for Fiscal Year 2016. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact email@example.com
"Ma Rabu Ma'asecha…" Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – "Science as a Religious Endeavor" by HaRav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW Tiferes Gedaliah. "The Role of Symmetry in Creation" by Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, Astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. The community is invited to join us for these two thought-provoking "kick-off" lectures, Sunday, October 11, 12:30 PM – Mincha following at 1:30 PM. YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Shemittah Esrogim – Halchos of Biur – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington-Tiferes Gedaliah. Monday, October 12, Columbus Day. Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Shloshim for Sarah Landesman, A"H – Wednesday, October 14, 7:00 PM, Woodside Synagogue. Siyum and remembrances of Sarah's life
Light refreshments will be served.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, October 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
JCADA 5K Event: A Run, A Walk, AWARE – Sunday, October 18, at the Berman Hebrew Academy in Rockville! Run or walk with JCADA to promote healthy relationships and help end domestic and dating abuse. Price: $40 – Free for kids 10 and under. Contact: 301-315-8040 or email@example.com Register at jcada.org/5k
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo – Sunday, Oct. 18 from 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring, featuring over 75 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), exercise demonstrations, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. A similar Expo will take place the following Sunday, October 25, from 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM at Ballston Mall in Arlington, Va., featuring best-selling author Gail Sheehy. For more info, call (301) 949-9766.
Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington as we celebrate a caring community and honor Gary Winters, Doris Leeds, Sharon Dekelbaum and David Abrams. Sunday, October 25 at 10:00 AM (Brunch!) at Beth Sholom Congregation. Visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Job Search Tips for Candidates 50+ – Free workshop by Judy Smith, Director, Center for Planned Change. Sunday, October 18, 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM (please note unusual time), YISE Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 11 Monday, October 12 Tuesday, Oct. 13 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, Oct. 14 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday, October 15 Friday, October 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10 6:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:04 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:25 PM
October 16-17, 2015 – 4 Cheshvan 5776
Light Candles by 6:10 – Havdalah 7:07
* Light Candles by 6:10
Arcola: 6:10 University: 6:10 Sephardi: 6:05 Nusach Sefard: 6:10
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:05 University: 6:05 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:07
Monday, October 12 Man With The Truck – CANCELLED
Shabbos, October 17 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yona Reiss
Sunday, October 18 Tech Cafe, 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM
Tuesday, October 20 YISE Board Meeting, 7:45 PM
Motzei Shabbos, October 31 Simply Tsfat Concert, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 14 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director