Download the May 3-4, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 3-4, 2013 – 24 Iyar 5773 – Parshas Behar / Bechukosai – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:45 (and not before 6:37) – Havdalah 8:48
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Blitzstein family on the occasion of the Yahrzeit of Herschel Tzvi Blitzstein, Z"L, uncle of Bernard Blitzstein.
* Light Candles by 7:45, and not before 6:37
* Mincha 6:25 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:15 (Ruach), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:48
* 8:00 and 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 6:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after Mincha / Maariv at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:30 PM.
YISE Nursery Programs and Listings
Spring into Action! – Cardio and strength interval training to boost your metabolism, build lean muscle, and maximize fat burning! Exercise for health with experienced, certified personal trainer, Julie Vogel. Wednesday evenings from 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. 8 week session, May 22 through July 10 (no class Shavuot, May 15). $95 plus one time building fee of $10. Drop-in fee $15. Demo class on May 8 ($5 only). YISE Nursery Recreation Room. Bring a yoga mat and 3lb or 5lb weights. For questions call Julie at 301-448-6378 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Register with email@example.com. Women only.
* Fran & Alan Broder on the birth of a grandson to their children, Eva & Hillel Broder. Mazal Tov to the siblings, Moshe and Rebecca; great-grandparents Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka & Bernard Creeger; Aunt Batsheva & Uncle Moshe Broder, and Uncle Noam Broder.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Tani, son of Leah & Avi Greengart of Teaneck.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the birth of a granddaughter, Hodaiya Chana, daughter of Shira & Sruli Stein of Jerusalem. Mazal Tov to the great-grandmother, Esther Becker, siblings, cousins and the extended family.
* Lucy Blitzstein and Adell Wexler, of Toronto, on the passing of their sister, Jane Benisti. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Clarksburg. Shiva will be observed at 11507 Monticello Ave. through Monday morning.
YISE Programs and Listings
Yahrzeit Commemoration for Reuven Fishman, ZT"L – Seudah Shelishit at University Blvd., Shabbos afternoon, May 4, between Mincha and Maariv, one night ahead of the actual Yahrzeit. Reuven Fishman was an extraordinary young Ba'al Tshuvah who davened at University Blvd. He was tragically killed when a terrorist's bomb exploded on an Israeli bus in which Reuven was a passenger.
Revelation: Could We Not Have Discovered the Truth on Our Own – A Special Shavuos Shiur for men and women by Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky. Tuesday, May 7, 8:00 PM at YISE. Mincha at 7:45pm; Maariv to follow. Presented by the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah of YISE and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
SSEA Special Appeal – The Eruv needs additional funds for this fiscal year (thru September 30). Please be sure you have done your part. Requested contribution of $36 per household (less or more is OK); checks payable to YISE Eruv Fund, mailed to SSEA at 11113 Lombardy Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20902. More SSEA info at http://wp.yise.org/community-resources/eruv-info/.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
Parking Changes – The Shopping Center has painted the word STOP at the end of each row in the parking lot by Ben Yehuda. Please be careful driving in and out of the lot, and obey all stop signs.
Job Assist Events:
* 50+ Employment Expo – Meet recruiters from dozens of employers. Learn about resumes, interviewing, surfing the net for jobs, changing careers, and online applications. Friday, May 17, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Marriott Bethesda North Hotel and Conference Center. 5701 Marinelli Road, Bethesda. Info at www.accessjca.org.
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Wednesday, May 22, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Introduction to creating a profile and basic use of the tool for those who have not created a profile. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* QuickBooks for Beginners Online – Tuesday, May 28. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* 2-Day Job Seekers' Boot Camp – Indepth training on networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Free. Will fill up quickly. Wed-Thu, June 12-13, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Fairfax, VA. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands and thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Rona & Aaron Lerner in recognition of the honor bestowed upon Gabbaim Aryeh Broth and Yehudah Mehlman at the YISE Banquet.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei – 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. If you're interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week will be from 4:00 PM until 5:15 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:30 PM.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Women's Daytime Tehillim, Wednesdays, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Contact Arleeta Lerner for information, 301-649-0552. Note new time.
The Unveiling for Dr. Clifton Price Z"L – Sunday, May 5, 11:00 AM at Beth David Cemetery, 300 Elmont Road, Elmont, NY 11003. Section H Block 8 (Jericho Avenue between Adams and Franklin).
Got Milk? Dairy in the Kosher Kitchen – a shiur for women presented by YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington, Monday, May 6, 8:30 PM with Rabbi Eli Reingold at the YGW Boys Campus.
Sulam's 13th Annual Event – Monday, May 6, Beth Sholom, Potomac. Honoring the late Linda Kahan and MJBHA graduating student Lisa Reiz. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bris of Nadine & Menashe Katz's new son will take place at YISE on Wednesday evening, May 8, following a special 6:00 PM Mincha. The Bris will be followed by a reception in the Social Hall.
MJBHA Girls' Choir Performance for women, Thursday, May 9, Rosh Chodesh Sivan, 7:00 PM, MJBHA Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. The show will include performances by the MJBHA dance company, and will be followed by a dairy reception. For more info: email@example.com.
The Golden Network Presents: "Shavuos – Can We Sign The Contract?" By Rabbi Shmuel Leigh. Thursday, May 9, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information: 301- 338- 4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please save your long flowing locks for Zichron Menachem to help make wigs for young cancer patients. There are still 2 options, both at reputable salons in the area on Monday, May 20 and Tuesday, May 21. For further information or to make an appointment contact Nancy Mehlman at email@example.com.
The Mikvah Emunah Society is holding its annual dinner on Wednesday, May 22, at the Newton White Mansion. Please join us as we honor Mr. Yitz Kasdan and Mrs. Chayie Chinn. Look for your invitation in the mail or make your reservation online at mikvahemunah.com. For more information, contact Caroline Namrow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Lone Soldier Center in Memory of Michael Levin – To support this wonderful program that assists Israel soldiers, you can send a check made out to FJC and put Lone Soldier Account # 142607 in the memo line. The check should be mailed to P.O. Box 10724, Fort Dearborn Chicago, Illinois, 60610. You can also donate online at www.lonesoldiercenter.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 5 Monday, May 6 Tuesday, May 7 Wednesday, May 8 Thursday, May 9 Friday, May 10 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:10
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:00
Arcola 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:55 N/A N/A 7:55 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:07 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
* Wednesday, May 8 – Yom Yerushalayim – the Early Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions.
All the rest of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times.
May 10-11, 2013 – 2 Sivan 5773
Light Candles by 7:51 – Havdalah 8:56
* Light Candles by 7:51, and not before 6:42
* Mincha 6:30 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:55
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 (Sephardi), 7:50 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:56
Friday, May 3 Ruach Minyan, 7:15, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, May 6 Man With the Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 8, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director