Please note that this week's Shorts are rather long for Shavuos and are formatted for legal size (8-1/2" x 14") paper. If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you can print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or pick up a copy in Shul.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shavuos Shorts
May 22-25, 2015 – 5-7 Sivan 5775 – Parshas Bamidbar and Shavuos
* Light Candles by 8:02, and not before 6:50
Arcola: 6:35, 7:05, 8:05 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 2:30 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv and Light Candles after 9:08
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
The flowers for Shavuos are donated in memory of David Kramer, Z"L,on the occasion of his 13th Yahrzeit by Karen & Howie Schulman and family.
First Day Shavuos, Sunday, May 24:
Arcola: 5:15, 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 4:21 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 8:05 University: N/A Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv: 8:35
* Light Candles after 9:09
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Shavuos, Monday, May 25:
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Yizkor – not before 10:15
* Dvar Torah:
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan – Rabbi Silver
Arcola: 8:05 University: N/A Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Arcola – Rabbi Silver
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:10
The Shavuos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Samuel Bramson on the the engagement of their grandson, Binyomin Moshe Weinstein, son of Renee & Mayer Weinstein of Passaic, NJ, to Shoshana Raizel Plotkin, daughter of Tova & Moshe Plotkin of Passaic, NJ.
* Laurie (Bassan) & Stuart Cohen happily announce Shuli's engagement to Alex Barenbein, of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Devora Yehudis, to their grandchildren Avigayil & Menacham Rapp of New York City. Also Mazal Tov to Aunt Sahra & Uncle Yale, and Uncle Raphael
* Shira & Nathaniel Herzfeld and family on the birth of a baby girl, Meital Hodaya. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Robin & Moshe Stoler, Frederica Gombo and William Herzfeld and the greatgrandparents.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a granddaughter Adina Malka, born to Rebecca & Yitzchak Lefkowitz of North Miami Beach.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the engagement of their granddaughter, Chaya, daughter of Debra & Reuven Meth to Zevy son of Aliza & Rabbi Aaron Tendler
* Rivki & Yaniv Tsaidi on the birth and the forthcoming Brit of their newborn son. Rivki is the sister of our members Miriam & Edwin Zaghi and are visting our community. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Shula & Rabbi Yigal Tsaidi and Sheila & Chaim Leibtag and to the great-grandparents, Rebbetzin Florence Leibtag, Clarice Kanarek, Rimon Buskila and Tamar & Rabbi David Tsaidi. The Brit will be on Monday, the second day of Shavuos, following the Sephardi Shacharit.
* Ilana Branda on the passing of her grandfather, Alfred Menaker. Shiva was being observed in Chicago.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony- will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Megillas Eicha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 8:45 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts – will resume on Tuesday, June 2.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will resume on Sunday, May 31.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University – the second Perek of Kiddushin.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:40 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Spend Shavuos at Shomrai with new and exciting programs:
* Friday Night Dinner – Reservations are required.
* Friday Night Oneg – Approximately 9:30 PM. Arcola Social Hall. Free – no RSVP required.
* Learning Program – See flyer.
* A Sundae on Monday – Family Ice Cream Party. Monday, May 25, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Arcola Social Hall.
University Blvd. Minyanim – This weekend there will be Shacharis Minyanim all three days of Shabbos and Shavuos. There will NOT be Mincha and Maariv Minyanim on all days.
YISE Family and Youth Minyan – Shabbos, May 30, 9:05 AM in the Small Social Hall. YISE is exploring a new Minyan to address the growing needs of young families in the community. Please bring your children and help make this trial a success. Lots of singing with familiar tunes. D'var Torah geared toward elementary school age children. Kiddish following the Minyan. For more information Contact Josh Obstfeld at JObstfeld@YISE.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, June 1 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Want to Wish A Mazal Tov and make a donation in honor of that special granduate in your life? Donations of $18 will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts on Shabbos, June 5-6 along with your child's name, grade and school from which they have graduated. Please send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-593-4465 x403 by June 3.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html A two-part Shiur on Megillas Rus has recently been added..
YISE Shomrai Nursery is now eligible to receive vouchers for tuition from the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) Program. The CCS Program issues vouchers to eligible families in need of help with the cost of child care. This exciting news means that families that have an income at or below the required amount can receive a significant portion of our school's tuition from the government. Please contact the school at 301-593-7365 with any questions.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The 8:45 Main Minyan L'Chaim Group was created to provide a L'Chaim every Shabbos there is a Haimish Kiddush and is financially and operationally separate from the Haimish Kiddush. We are seeking additional sponsors. When making a pledge, please ensure that your donation is designated for the L'Chaim Group. Contact Abe Zwany at email@example.com to join.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos and the 2nd day of Shavuos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Groups this weekend:
* Shabbos: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva.
* No groups on the first day of Shavuos.
* Second day of Shavuos: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony.
* Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Shavuos Shiur Madness:
* 4th-6th grade boys are invited to join Rabbi Rosenbaum for a Shavuos Shiur entitled: "Pasta, Pastry, and Pizza: Why are some Mezonot and some Hamotzi?" YISE Social Hall, May 23, 12:00 midnight – 1:00 AM.
* 4th-6th grade girls are invited to the home of Carolyn Fanaroff (508 Hermleigh Rd.) 10:30 PM – 11:15 PM for a Shavuos Shiur by Mrs. Allison (Morah Aviva) Ginsberg entitled: "Aseret Hadibrot: Why separate 10 of the 613?" Mothers are welcome to join their daughters.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of former YISE member Hanna Green.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Yeshiva of Greater Washington–Tiferes Gedaliah presents Now Even More Chances To Learn This Shavuos!
* For Women: "Two Journeys: The Journey of Naomi and the Journey of Rus," Shiur by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, First Day Shavuos, Sunday, May 24, 5:15 PM, YGW Belonofsky Bais Medrash.
* For Men: "Reb Moshe, The Manhattan Eruv and You," Second Day Shavuos Monday, May 25, Chavrusa Learning at 5:30 PM, Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 6:30 PM, Mincha at 7:15 PM, YGW Foxman Bais Medrash.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 27, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Be a HERO! It's Zichron Menachem Hair4Wigs time of year again. If you have 12 inches of hair to donate, you can help make a wig for a child in Israel who has cancer. Please sign up for a free appointment: Thursday, May 28, after Shavuot, Progressions Salon and Spa, Rockville. To make your appointment, please contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you to all of our return donors and to all of our new donors.
The Kosher and Shomer Shabbat Cub Scout Pack 452 invites boys entering grades 1-5 this fall to join us on Sunday, May 31 from 1:45 PM – 4:00 PM for a nature scavenger hunt and s'mores at Brookside. This is a family event – everyone is welcome! Contact email@example.com for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Build Your Own Website – At Little or No Cost – Featuring Ronnie Baras. Monday, June 1, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM, YISE. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Sulam's 15th Annual Gala Dinner & Silent Auction – Tuesday, June 2. Honoring Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram with its Founder's Award. Cocktails and auction begin at 6:15, followed by dinner. At the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center. Reservations can still be made through the morning of June 2. Please contact the Sulam office if you have any further questions at 301-962-9400 x 5523.
NCSY Family Carnival Fundraiser – Sunday, June 7, 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM at KMS. Children of all ages will enjoy games, food, prizes, and fun! All proceeds will benefit the Cheryl Stern Memorial Fund, to help NCSY teens in our area take the trip of a lifetime this summer to Israel and grow in their Judaism! Admission fee is $5, additional 25¢ per booth ticket. Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Yehuda Mond Foundation provides food assistance to a growing number of families in the Greater Washington area. Currently over 40 families, consisting over 200 individuals, are being assisted.
* Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington assists over 40 families in the Greater Washington Area. Visit http://www.tomcheishabbosgw.org for information.
* The Capital Kosher Pantry is an authorized distributor for the Capital Area Food Bank and the only kosher pantry in the Greater Washington Area. Visit http://www.capitalkosherpantry.org for information.
* The Simcha Food Gemach distributes donations of surplus food from events catered under the Vaad HaRabbanim. Please call 301-613-3351 for drop off instructions.
If you need assistance or know someone who could use it, for Tomchei Shabbos, please call Rabbi Moshe Arzouan at 301-905-2937. For the Food Gemach, please call Shani Leiman at 240-274-7652.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 24 Monday, May 25 – Memorial Day Tuesday, May 26 Wednesday, May 27 Thursday, May 28 Friday, May 29
Arcola Shavuos – See schedule on front page. 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:47 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
May 29-30, 2015 – 12 Sivan 5775
Light Candles by 8:07 – Havdalah 9:14
* Light Candles by 8:07, and not before 6:55
Arcola: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:05 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 University: 8:05 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:14
Monday, May 25 A Sundae on Monday
Thursday, May 28 Special Board Meeting, 9:00 PM
Shabbos, May 30 Bar Mitzvah of Aryeh Miller, 8:00 Minyan
Shabbos, May 30 YISE Family and Youth Minyan, 9:05
Shabbos, May 30 8:45 Main Minyan Kiddush sponsored by the Broder Family
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 27 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director