Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 23-24, 2014 – 24 Iyar 5774 – Parshas Bamidbar – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:03 (and not before 6:51) – Havdalah 9:09
* Light Candles by 8:03, and not before 6:51
* Mincha 6:40 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:05, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:05
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:09
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Hillman family in honor of the first Yahrzeit of Shari’s father, Herbert Romerstein, Chanan Ben Pesach Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Eva & Ben Bazian and Eva & Nissy Moskowitz on the birth of a granddaughter, Rivka Ilana, born to their children Shoshana & Doni Moskowitz. Mazal Tov to big brother Zachary, and the aunts & uncles, Yehudit & Mark Jubas, Gaby & Arye Moskowitz, Sara, Shira and Sam Bazian,
* Holly & Alan Zimmerman on the graduation of their daughter Lily Aliza Zimmerman from the University of Maryland, College Park, with a BA degree, cum laude, Honors Citation, Phi Beta Kappa.
* Yael Shudnow on the passing of her mother, Rachel Musleah. The funeral was held in Sydney, Australia on Friday. Shiva will be observed in Sydney through Thursday morning.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet on Tuesday, May 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. PLEASE NOTE THE NEW SUBJECT.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Bais Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver’s Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah – will not meet this week.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continues the topic "Employment of Gentiles on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM.
Like YISE on Facebook:
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Thoughts on Shavuos." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, June 2, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What Was It That Was Revealed at the Revelation? – Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Community Pre-Shavuos Shiur with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. Tuesday, May 27, at 8:00 PM (Mincha at 7:45 PM /Maariv to follow) in the YISE Social Hall. For more information contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women’s Halacha Shiur. The second one will be Sunday, June 8 at 8:30 PM at the home of Elana Garfield, 1160 Kersey Road. The topic will be "Warming food on Shabbos."
YISE Nursery Announcements:
* YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for further information.
* YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE’s Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman,301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby. Please note that any ready-made food or drinks must have a Hechsher approved by YISE.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Girls Kindergarten and 1st-4th grade will NOT meet this week. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy’s Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walk-ins welcome. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-423-8810.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade, in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you’re interested in sponsoring, please contact email@example.com Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Hakamas HaMatzeiva for Etan Savir will take place on Sunday, May 25 at 10:00 AM at Mount Lebanon Cemetery in Adelphi, MD.
Mazal Tov – Helene & Gary Goodman would like to invite the community to a Vort on Sunday, May 25, to celebrate the engagement of their son, David, to Tamara Freiden of Memphis. The Vort will be held at the home of Bayla & Jeremy Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
Which Year Is It? Calculating the Shmittah Year – Memorial Day, Monday, May 26. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah – Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters’ Meeting – Wednesday, May 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shavuos – What is Our Uniqueness? – The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh, Thursday, May 29, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00 AM. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
Hachnasas Sefer Torah – Join the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah in the celebration in honor of beloved community leaders Sarah & Rabbi Avrom Landesman on Sunday, June 1. Join us as we dance with the Sefer Torah and usher it to its new home in the Foxman Bais Medrash. Completion at 10:15 AM, Hachnasa at 11:30 AM. YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information or to make a dedication www.ygwevents.com/sefertorah
Dirshu Siyum with Rabbi Frand – The Silver Spring Dirshu Kollel plans to make a siyum on Meseches Eruvin and Seder Moed at 6 PM (5:45 PM mincha), Sunday, June 1, at YISE, followed by dinner (RSVP required, $18 couvert) and featuring remarks by Rabbi Yissochar Frand at 7:30 PM (open to the community; dessert will be served). Men and women are invited. To sponsor or for other info regarding the Dirshu learning program, please contact Dr. Hirsh Komarow at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit http://kolleldirshu.com
Dirshu Kollel to Begin Brachos – Monday, June 2, the Silver Spring Dirshu Kollel plans to begin Meseches Brachos. Early morning and evening classes; Chavrusas available in Kemp Mill at YGW. For info, please contact Rabbi Reingold at email@example.com
Get a Free Haircut and Do a Mitzvah All at Once!!! Zichron Menachem Annual Hair Raising Event is back! Show you care by donating 10 inches of hair! June 9 – After Shavuot – Norma’s Hair Salon will come to MJBHA, appointments from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. June 10 – After Shavuot – Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, appointments at 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. Private cuttings are available at all locations. To make an appointment please contact Nancy Mehlman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online – Intermediate Word & Excel. Tuesday, May 27. Info and register at www.oujobs.org/events
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – (1) 10 Steps to a Federal Job, Tuesday, June 10, 12:00 Noon – 12:30 PM. (2) Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, Wednesday, June 11, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. (3) Tips on Internships for Students and Recent Graduates, Thursday, June 12, 12:00 Noon – 12:30 PM. Further info at www. resume-place.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 25 Monday, May 26 – Memorial Day Tuesday, May 27 Wed., May 28 – Yom Yerushalayim Thursday, May 29 Friday, May 30 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:00
Arcola 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:46 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
* Wednesday, May 28 – Yom Yerushalayim – the Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions.
The remainder of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 30-31, 2014 – 2 Sivan 5774
Light Candles by 8:08 – Havdalah 9:15
* Light Candles by 8:08, and not before 6:55
* Mincha 6:45 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:10, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:10
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 8:05 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:15
Shabbos, May 31 Bar Mitzvah of Meshulam Ungar
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 28, at 12 Noon.
Please note: Next issue will be for two weekends plus Shavuos,
May 30 through June 13
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director