Download the April 19 – 20 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 19-20, 2013 – 10 Iyar 5773 – Parshas Acharei Mos / Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:31 (and not before 6:26) – Havdalah 8:33
* Light Candles by 7:31, and not before 6:26
* Mincha 6:15 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:35
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 (Sephardi), 7:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:33
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – Warren Goldman upon the Yahrzeit of his mother, Florence Goldman.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Muller family in honor of the 50th Anniversary of Bernie's Bar Mitzvah and co-sponsored by Sonya & David Levy in gratitude to the community for being so warm and welcoming!
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (See full description to the right.)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after Mincha / Maariv at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:15 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Leah & Jonathan Bresler on the engagement of their daughter Elisheva to Binyamin, son of Hannah & Mitchell Carl. Mazal Tov to Elisheva's siblings Chava & Avi Freidenreich, Ami & Aviva Bresler, Devorah, and Tal. Mazal Tov to Binyamin's siblings, Batya and Yehezkel.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of their first great-grandchild, Natan Mordechai, born to Yael and Ari Horovitz of Modi'in. Proud grandparents are Tzippy & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh.
* Lili & Allen Zemon on the engagement of their son, David, to Betsy Briskman, daughter of Sharon & Robert Briskman of Chicago. (Corrected spelling from last week.)
* Harriet Brodsky on the loss of her mother and Melissa Miller on the loss her grandmother, Mary Dumont. The funeral took place on Sunday in Memphis, TN. Harriet Brodsky will be observing Shiva in Memphis, TN and Jacksonville, FL.
* Eddie Snyder on the passing of his sister Harriet Silverberg. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva will be held Sunday (until 1:00), and Monday through Thursday at 11706 Fulham Street. Shacharis: Sunday at 8:00, Monday and Thursday at 6:45, Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:40.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE and the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington invite you to a presentation by Rabbi Eytan Feiner, Rav, Congregation Kneseth Israel (the White Shul) in Far Rockaway, NY, on "Aquatic Perfection: The Mitzvah of Mikvah, and the Wild World of Water." Sunday, April 21 at 7:30 PM at YISE. There will be a special Mincha at 7:10 preceding the lecture.
YISE Together-for-5 – Starts Again this Monday, April 22!!! Join us for a 3 week series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Insights and Concepts of the first section of Shemoneh Esrei. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
A Special Lag B'Omer Shiur for men and women by Rabbi Aaron Lopiansky on "Nistar: The Torah Without Words." Tuesday, April 23, 8:00 PM at YISE. Mincha at 7:45pm – Maariv to follow. Presented by the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah of YISE and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. This program is L'Zecher Nishmas the Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW and Rav of YISE, HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp, the former communal Rabbi of Amsterdam, the Hague and Rotterdam, founding member of the 7-Member Council of Amsterdam, and noted lecturer on Jewish-Christian relations. Shabbos Parshas Emor, April 27. Schedule:
* After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan: The Moslem and Jewish European Communities: the Challenges Ahead – Kiddush follows
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Shechita and Mila Problems in Europe: Religion Moving to the Backyards of Society
UPDATED List of Stores Where Chometz May Be Purchased Immediately After Pesach: All establishments under Capitol-K supervision and BJ's, CVS, Brookville Market, Costco, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, K-Mart, H-Mart – Han Ah Rum, MOM's, Petco, Petsmart, Rite-Aid, Royal Farms, Potomac Wine and Spirits, Sam's Discount Warehouse, Shoppers Food Warehouse, ShopRite, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegman's, Whole Foods, Winn-Dixie. Please note that CHOMETZ CANNOT BE PURCHASED AT GIANT, SAFEWAY, OR TARGET immediately after Pesach as the distributor who supplies these stores is Jewish. Chometz may be purchased from these stores beginning April 28. Anyone with questions about specific stores or products is welcome to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum.
The YISE Banquet Journal has been posted at:
National Council of Young Israel / YISE present Springtime in Silver Spring, a Shabbaton for Singles (ages 35-65), April 26-28. Shabbaton features: Home hospitality, gourmet catered meals, speed dating and other interactive activities. Shabbos meals, Melava Malka and Sunday brunch. For more information visit http://wp.yise.org/shabbaton-for-singles/ or contact Rebbetzin Judi Steinig at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-929-1525 x112. Please contact Sharon Augenbaum at 301-593-2336 or email@example.com if you are able to host (sleeping only) for this event.
Earth Day – Fun Chesed opportunity cosponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. In conjunction with Friends of Sligo Creek, clean up the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park/Sligo Park on Sunday, April 21, anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Gloves, bags, and tomato plant seeds will be distributed near the steps. Upper School students may receive Community Service hours. Great for all ages! For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Assist Events:
* Interview Skills – Harvey Kramer will explain how to sharpen your interview skills and answer tough questions. Monday, April 29, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. To register, email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
SSEA Special Appeal – The Eruv needs additional funds for this fiscal year (thru September 30). Please be sure you have done your part. Requested contribution of $36 per household (less or more is OK); checks payable to YISE Eruv Fund, mailed to SSEA at 11113 Lombardy Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20902. More SSEA info at http://wp.yise.org/community-resources/eruv-info/.
YISE Nursery Listings
Lag B'Omer Raffle – Grand Prize: A weekend getaway for 10 at The Cove, a luxury dream home right on the Eastern Shore. 2nd Prize: 7 weeks of summer fun at Camp Shomrai 2013. 3rd Prize: Top of the line Baby Gear from Babies 1st. Plus 10 more great prizes. Contact YISE Nursery at 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for more information.
Lag B'Omer Carnival – Sunday April 8, 11:00 AM – 1:30 PM at YISE Nursery. Sinai Mountain Boys, Moonbounce, Food & Games, Face Painting, Puppet Show, Arts & Crafts. $5/child, $25 max/family.
Spring into Action! – Cardio and strength interval training to boost your metabolism, build lean muscle, and maximize fat burning! Exercise for health with experienced, certified personal trainer, Julie Vogel. Wednesday evenings from 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM. 8 week session, May 8 through July 3 (no class Shavuot, May 15). $95 plus one time building fee of $10. Drop-in fee $15. Demo class on May 1 ($5 only). YISE Nursery Recreation Room. Bring a yoga mat and 3lb or 5lb weights. For questions call Julie at 301-448-6378 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Register with email@example.com. Women only.
Torah for Tots (continued) – for 16 months and up and their parents or care givers. With Morah Elise Schloss. Join us for: puppets and Parsha stories; singing and circle time; Shabbat party; socialization; arts and crafts. Friday mornings from 9:30 AM – 10:45 AM. At the YISE Nursery. 5 more classes this year: April 26, May 3, 24, 31, June 7. Register with firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Kemp Mill Pirchei will be meeting from 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. Special thanks to Nachi and Naomi Hirschfeld for sponsoring this weekfs Pirchei! If youfre interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
The Womenfs Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading gThe Garden of Emunah.h
Greater Washington Community Kollel (GWCK) Legacy Dinner for Rabbi Kalman Winter ZTL on Sunday evening, May 5, at Beth Sholom. For dinner reservations and ad journal opportunities, please see www.GWCKLegacyDinner.adjournal.com.
The Mikvah Emunah Society is holding its annual dinner on Wednesday, May 22, at the Newton White Mansion. Please join us as we honor Mr. Yitz Kasdan and Mrs. Chayie Chinn. Look for your invitation in the mail or make your reservation online at mikvahemunah.com. For more information, contact Caroline Namrow at email@example.com.
Food Drive Results – Twenty-five organizations participating in the 12th Chometz Riddance/Pesach Food Drive donated 5,600 pounds of food to the Capital Area Food Bank, the areafs largest pantry, which distributes food to 478,000 people in need in the region. Collections were picked up from diverse sources, synagogues, day schools, apartment complexes, community centers, and the National Council of Synagogue Youth.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 21 Monday, April 22 Tuesday, April 23 Wednesday, April 24 Thursday, April 25 Friday, April 26
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:40 N/A N/A 7:40 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
April 26-27, 2013 – 17 Iyar 5773
Light Candles by 7:38 – Havdalah 8:41
* Light Candles by 7:38, and not before 6:31
* Mincha 6:20 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:40
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 (Sephardi), 7:35 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:41
Sunday, April 21 YISE and MES Lecture: Rabbi Eytan Feiner
Shabbos, April 27 Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp
Friday, May 3 Ruach Minyan, 7:15, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 24, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director