Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 6-7, 2016 – 29 Nissan 5776 – Parshas Acharei Mos – Mevorchim HaChodesh
Light Candles by 7:48 (and not before 6:38) – Havdalah 8:52
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Harriet & Ernie Brodsky in memory of Mary Hytken Dumont, Malka bas Hershel Leib, on her third Yahrzeit.
* Debbie & Rabbi Simmy Merkin on the birth of a son.
* Mrs. Charlotte Weill on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Ariella & Dov Weill of Chicago, grandparents are Malka & Menachem Weill. Mazal Tov to the entire Weill family.
* Arly Mandelbaum on the passing of her father, Fred Mailman.The funeral took place on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 7:48, and not before 6:38
Arcola: 6:20, 6:50 Ruach, 7:50 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 6:20 and 7:50 Minyanim will be held in the Large Social Hall.
The 6:50 Ruach Minyan will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 University: 7:45 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:52
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Motty Berger
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Nino Srour
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – The YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project with assistance from the 9:15 Minyan Group.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Motty Berger – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
YISE Programs and Listings
"Have Faith!" Easier Said Than Done – A Shabbaton featuring Rabbi Motty Berger from Aish HaTorah. This Shabbos, May 6 and 7. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Schedule:
* Friday Evening, 6:50 PM Ruach Minyan, Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* After 8:45 Main Minyan (~11:00):
What is Emunah and What Difference Does it Make?
* Interactive discussion about Emunah, 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Shalosh Seudos, 6:00 PM – 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall; limited meal seating; $8/person. All welcome to join Zemirot and hear remarks by Rabbi Berger: Forget about Hashem; WHO AM I?
* Between Mincha / Maariv:
Prayer: Communication as the Essence of a Relationship
Annual Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah Program – Mr. Manny Mandel will recount the story of his traumatic escape from wartime Hungary with his mother. Monday May 9 at 7:45 PM at KMS. Mincha will precede the program at 7:20 PM. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request.
Become a Better Ba'al Tefilah – Learn to lead Yom Tov Shacharis and Mussaf with Rabbi Ozzie Burnham, Wednesday, May 11, 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. Please help defray the cost of this community-wide event by being a sponsor. (Suggested contribution $36.) To sponsor: contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 ext. 403 or email@example.com
Tech Cafe at YISE – Sunday, May 15, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. FREE! Register at www.yise.org/techcafe For Seniors: Learn from local teens how to use technology, including smartphones, iPad, tablet, Facebook, email, and more. Bring your charged device and charger with you. For Teens – Volunteer for Tech Cafe. Free Pizza lunch for our Teen Techsperts! Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS in conjunction with Tech Cafe. Questions? Contact Miriam Friedman, YISE/KMS – mfriedman2@ yahoo.com or Stacey Relkin Winkler, Tech Cafe, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tefilah: Your Personal Stairway to Heaven – A new class from the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project, developed and taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel, based on Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs. Enhance your path toward Hashem through deeper knowledge of prayer and human psychology. Tuesdays, 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM, starting May 17, at the Rosenthal home, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Please bring a Siddur. Free. Open to men and women. RSVP requested, but not required, to: email@example.com or 301-980-9557.
Follow-Up Meeting with the US Post Office – Congressman Van Hollen's office will be hosting a follow-up community meeting with the U.S. Postal Service on Wednesday, May 18 from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. For questions, please contact Melissa Joseph at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (202) 594-6502.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Raffle – Enter our online raffle and win free camp, Uppa Baby stroller, Yehudis Goldfarb Photography, Studio 805 Makeover, and more! Drawing on Sunday, May 29. 1 ticket $10, 5 tickets $35, 10 tickets $50. Visit www.yise.org/raffle
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume May 18.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays following Mincha/Maariv in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. NOTE EXTENDED TIME FOR SCHOLAR-IN-RESIDENCE.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, May 7, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Eating Healthy and Holy: Nutrition and Halacha – Ma rabu Ma'asecha …Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations. The community is invited to join us for a thought-provoking lecture by Dr. Aaron Cypess, Chief of Translational Physiology Section, NIH. Comments by Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah, Kollel Zichron Amram. Sunday, May 8, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Jewish Business Ethics: Exploring the Laws of the Jewish Workplace – Introducing a weekly five-part text based series. Presented by GWCK in partnership with Aish of Greater Washington. This men's programming series will elucidate five separate relevant workplace topics, Wednesday evenings 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, May 11 – June 8 at Aish, 11418 Old Georgetown Road. No cost. Please register at AishDC.com For more information, contact email@example.com
Will you be a hero? Zichron Menachem Annual Hair-Raising Event is back and offering you the opportunity to get a free haircut and do a Mitzvah at the same time. Thursday, May 26, Lag B'Omer: In Salon and Day Spa, 13665 Connecticut Avenue, Aspen Hill. Appointments: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Or Tuesday, June 14, after Shavuos: Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville. Appointments: 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, and 6:30P PM. Private cuttings are available at both locations upon request. Be a HERO and donate 12 inches or more of your beautiful hair (your hair will grow back). Make your appointment today by contacting Nancy Mehlman at PTO@mjbha.org For more information on Zichron Menachem, visit www.zichron.org
Post Pesach Pointers – YISE and Beyond
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2016:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: B.J.'s, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars, Petco, PetSmart, Royal Farms, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: Aldi's, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz MAY NOT be purchased from Snider's until four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
Thank You – The Shul expresses its thanks to Lev, Ezra and Eliezer Heller, Matan and Edan Friedman, and Meir Koretzky for their help in conducting the Bedikas Chometz in the Arcola Shul on Erev Pesach this year. Your participation is greatly appreciated.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 8 – Rosh Chodesh – Mother's Day Monday, May 9 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, May 10 Wednesday, May 11 Thurs., May 12 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut Friday, May 13
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:03 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:30 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
* Thursday, May 12 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut – the Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions. The other Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 13-14, 2016 – 6 Iyar 5776
Light Candles by 7:54 – Havdalah 9:00
* Light Candles by 7:54, and not before 6:43
Arcola: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 University: 7:50 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:00
Shabbos, May 6-7 "Have Faith!" Easier Said Than Done
Monday, May 9 Annual Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah Program 7:45 PM at KMS
Shabbos, May 14 The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
Sunday, May 15 Tech Cafe, 11:00 AM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 11 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director